CPU(?) being more sensitive than it was before

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
Hey, for the last year or two I've had some issues with what I believe is my CPU fan.
Whenever I would be playing something that was even the slightest CPU heavy I would start to hear the fan be louder than I'd like, maybe I'm just worrying too much about the fan when I don't really need to, I'm not sure.
But when my total CPU usage goes up to 35-40% I can start to hear my PC be louder than it usually is and going above that I start to get worried, once again, even though maybe I shouldn't.
I've not felt comfortable playing GTA V since it came out due to the loudness of it and I tried playing Skyrim again for the first time in 2 years and it got louder than before.
I used to always play Skyrim on ultra and heavy enb etc without me noticing any sound at all but now I can defintely hear it change depening on where I am in the game, and it is never quiet anymore. Mind you that it is not performance issues at all so far, just strictly it being loud.

I feel like people might first go and try to tell me to clean the CPU fan, at least properly, I have tried doing it before but I am always scared about breaking something in there since I do not have the money right now to replace anything that would break. But if that is the only thing that people get to then; how do I go on about doing it in the best way? Things to think about before I start and maybe a video or something that properly shows how to do it.

Solution

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
What temperatures are you getting? If your temps are above 60 degrees when gaming then yes that would be too hot, as for cleaning your CPU fan, I suggest getting some compressed air. Using the small pipe that comes with your compressed air canister, you can blow dust off of your components.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016
I have a can of compressed air since I do regularly clean most of my PC, it sadly doesn't have a nozzle, is that important for this? Do I need to detach anything inside of the PC for this to work? I am fairly shit and insecure when it comes to the hardware really and usually too scared to take a leap and "go for it" so I'd like to know as much as possible before hand.

This isn't a leap. This isn't remotely close to a leap. If you can wipe your bottom you're qualified to do this. It's literally just blowing dust out of a chunk of metal. The only way to conceivably do something wrong is to try blowing on it with your mouth and spit into the power supply or something. As for the nozzle, not strictly required, you just won't get as much dust out without it.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

What program would you recommend for me to use to check the temp?

Colif

Win 11 Master
clean all your fans while you in there, not just the cpu fan, it will make them more efficient and quieter as well.

I have to remember to clean mine out tomorrow, I keep getting reminders in here.

I use a set of paint brushes to clean mine out (they only used for this purpose)

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

I would recommend this: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

(Source: http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/245467-49-best-reliable-free-program-temperature-monitoring)

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

I usually try to clean them all as well as I can without having to detach anything in there, maybe I'm missing out on a lot of cleaning by not doing that though.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

If I take a picture of the inside of my PC would you mind telling me just what exactly it is that I am looking for and what angle? Just wanna go on about it the right way really so I could potentially remove this as a problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't detach anything either, just clean what i can get to. In my last PC I used to remove the rear fan just to make sure I could get to every fan blade but I haven't had to do that in current PC (mainly as it has filters on the intake fans which stop most of the dust - or would if i cleaned them enough)

i know I need it as CPU running about 8c warmer than it could be, still about 30c below its max though.

99oQbdn.png

Metal thing with the fan on it (example image). The one in the picture is an Intel stock cooler, yours may be slightly different.

Colif

Win 11 Master

the dust should be pretty obvious, you can't do any damage to a PC blowing compressed air from a can into it, the compression isn't strong enough. I seen people use leaf blowers to clean PC's out.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Looks fine to me, you must have a stock cooler, would explain the noise that you can hear and the high RPM of the fan, I suggest buying an aftermarket cooler if your case can accommodate it, something cheap but amazing like the CM Hyper 212 Evo, just a suggestion :)

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

81cf258d5ed990778341707691ef0f90.png

So to tackle this you would just recommend me blowing straight into this or?

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Turn the system off, unplug it completely from the power, let it cool for a bit, then spray the whole lot down with just compressed air, should do the trick :)

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

Yeah me and my friends thought that the temp looked fine too, but it's just that it never made a noise before, could the fan think that it needs to run faster than it actually have to?

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can guess he would want someone else to install it given his hesitancy to even open the case up. I would suggest leaving the upgrade until you need something else changed in PC and add it to the cost then.

Your temps look normal to me :)

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

Seems like I currently only have a can of cooling spray available and I assume that might be a bad idea to use? It leaves a tine bit of moisture at times after it's been used, only for a short amount of seconds though.

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016
Most likely no, stock coolers are notorious for being loud, way too loud, aftermarket is the way to go and everything will be fine. It could even be the thermal paste on the cooler that is starting to dry a bit, unlikely but still possible no doubt, best to just go aftermarket and loud fans shouldn't be an issue then :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wasn't having a go at you, i am hesitant myself to do anything in PC, most i have done is replace my Graphics card. I am not sure I would replace HSF myself.

I built a PC once long time ago and learned a lesson then, let someone who knows what they doing do it in future.

i have a K processor and a stock cooler, will need to replace it if i ever overclock. I should have got them to replace it when they made the PC.

Reviake

Reputable
Oct 12, 2016

I wasn't feeling offended, just making sure that people know that I am not that clueless, just to get answers that are better suited for me I guess. :)

GameFreak01048

Honorable
Feb 17, 2016

Mine does the same, should be fine, I usually wait half an hour after cleaning my system to turn it on again just in case, I have paranoia about my beloved PC :D