CPU bottleneck and resolution got me confused. need help.

cody4721

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hey forum

I have an old system with the following specs :

Q6600@2.6 Ghz (motherboard limited)
Asrock g31m-vs2
4gb ddr2 ram (at dual channel)
Corsair cx430
HD 4850 1GB
Screen 1366x768 (18.5 inch)

Now i want to give this system to my brother for playing games mainly newer titles like the witcher 3 , gta 5 bf3 , and some old ones and maybe just maybe fallout 4.

Now money is really tight here as i spent a huge chunk on my own new rig ( :p) . He is mainly limited by the gpu , its dx10 and most new games need dx11.

So upon searching some forums around i found out that the best card for the given specs and resolution would be the maxwell gtx750ti 2gb.

Upon reading the forums i came upon a repeated phrase "bottleneck" repeatedly , but the users on the forum mainly wanted to play on 1080p resolutions.

My querry is will the cpu really bottleneck the 750ti at that resolution ?

And some good explanation about bottleneck would be really appreciated , i am really confused at this point . what would bottleneck what and where?

Thanks you and please be a bit patient with me with my doubts

Solution
you will get slightly less fps then the gpu would produce with say a top of the line cpu that does not bottleneck it at all. however i am not able to tell you if you will bottleneck the gpu it ran about the same in the old optiplex as my best computer.

cody4721

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
But how does a cpu bottleneck a gpu ? Say if i get bottleneck by cpu does that mean i will get lower than usual fps or i will get decent fps but just not waht the card is supposed to pump out?

you will get slightly less fps then the gpu would produce with say a top of the line cpu that does not bottleneck it at all. however i am not able to tell you if you will bottleneck the gpu it ran about the same in the old optiplex as my best computer.

Solution

CDdude55

Distinguished

Performance would be decreased, so it could mean that a game is playable but you could be getting better performance if a certain part of the system was upgraded. If i'm running a 980 ti with a Celeron, that lower performing CPU is going to provide a bottleneck where the system might still run the game decently, but the 980 ti doesn't have room to really stretch out.