Question CPU clock speed always at max

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerKen1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2019
So I recently built this PC with an i9 9900k and msi z390 gaming pro carbon mobo so basically I did not see that intel turbo was on so it was basically overclocked since I got it at some point I decided to turn off turbo and after that my clock speed has always been at max, before at idle it'll be from 0mhz to 800mhz, now it's always at 4700mhz, I am using the balanced power settings but that makes it go to 800mhz and stays like that for 1 second and goes back to 4700mhz, what else can I do, my speedstep is enabled

Leave it in WIndows Balanced Power plan...

Put everything else in BIOS at default/auto regarding CPU multiplier, leave turbo and Enhanced Speedstep, etc., enabled....

An XMP profile can be selected to run 3200 MHz RAM/timings, etc., but, initially, might want to make sure MCE is off (which it seems to be, as your CPU is only hitting 4.7 GHz vice 5.0 GHz...

The CPU idling down as low as 800 MHz is normal, it should only jump to 4.7 GHz (all-core turbo) under a fairly full load. (you can install/run HWMonitor to see what all cores are doing simultaneously)

Is/was your CPU under a heavy load when you saw 4.7 GHz constantly?

Can you remember what all settings you messed with in the BIOS? You need to set them back to normal/default/Auto, etc...; if behavior changed after you were tinkering in settings, and now abnormal clock speed behavior is shown, that is the likely cause.

With no browser open, no updates being downloaded, no Prime95 versions being run, etc.,normal behavior would be to idle down to as low as 800-1200 MHz, with brief spikes to 2000-3000-4700 MHz for perhaps a second as various tasks are being done and completed, or, until a heavy load is started...

DerKen1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2019
Leave it in WIndows Balanced Power plan...

Put everything else in BIOS at default/auto regarding CPU multiplier, leave turbo and Enhanced Speedstep, etc., enabled....

An XMP profile can be selected to run 3200 MHz RAM/timings, etc., but, initially, might want to make sure MCE is off (which it seems to be, as your CPU is only hitting 4.7 GHz vice 5.0 GHz...

The CPU idling down as low as 800 MHz is normal, it should only jump to 4.7 GHz (all-core turbo) under a fairly full load. (you can install/run HWMonitor to see what all cores are doing simultaneously)

Is/was your CPU under a heavy load when you saw 4.7 GHz constantly?

Can you remember what all settings you messed with in the BIOS? You need to set them back to normal/default/Auto, etc...; if behavior changed after you were tinkering in settings, and now abnormal clock speed behavior is shown, that is the likely cause.

With no browser open, no updates being downloaded, no Prime95 versions being run, etc.,normal behavior would be to idle down to as low as 800-1200 MHz, with brief spikes to 2000-3000-4700 MHz for perhaps a second as various tasks are being done and completed, or, until a heavy load is started...
Setting things to default didn't help at all.
CPU wasn't under any stress, I turned the pc on left it there with nothing open for like 5 mins and still had max clock speed.
I did change them back after messing with them but again it didn't help, all I changed was the turbo to off then on.
Yeah that's what I had before now it's 4739mhz all the time.

DerKen1

Prominent
Mar 11, 2019
Have you rebooted pc after changing power plan?

Might want to check what min and max processor state/frequency balance profile has set.

Are you sure voltages for cpu are on auto in the bios?
Yes I have
I checked and seemed like before
Voltages are on auto yes

Mar 12, 2019
I have the same situation and started a thread: Asus Prime z 390-A + 9900K= 5GHz all the time.
The exact same thing is happening to me. After downloading the MSI software and updating it so I could control my MB RGB I heard my fans kick in after a restart and my cpu temp was going from 65-70c and cpu clocking was stuck at 4800 constantly. I changed the power setting and the cpu temp went back to 30-34c but the cpu clock now jumps from 800- 4800 within seconds. I just built this computer.

Mar 12, 2019
Well then, perhaps the three of you have something in common and possibly software related.

what happens if you reverse the settings made in msi and uninstall it?
I uninstalled the msi program and nothing happened. I am about to format the computer and redo windows. Because before this my cpu temp was barely at 30c. Is wiping everything over kill?

Afaik windows has no effect on cpu performance. "Power plans" in windows , at least desktops, shuts down peripherals like monitors and drives, which affect battery power, not cpu functions.The only way to get to bios from windows is through a board app from the manufacturer like AI Suite by Asus which I have not installed.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Turbo is enabled by default in bios, it's considered a factory OC setting and part of optimized default settings.

EIST should normally step the cpu down to 800MHz when usage is under 10%ish. If downloading windows updates or store or other background tasks that put cpu usage beyond 11% you'll be in turbo speeds.

By hard setting voltage, cores, clocks or any other OC function, the cpu will stay at that heightened state, overriding EIST function.

Bios is loaded from profiles if one exists. Try resetting bios to factory optimized defaults, (usually F5 in asus and msi bios) then save that to profile #1. F10 to save and exit. On reboot the cmos should automatically load bios profile #1 at default settings.

Changing bios settings via AISuite is temporary, bios will revert to profile on next reboot.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
BCLK should be default 100.00 in bios, didn't need setting, so that's a little strange. Setting xmp profile for 3200 shouldn't change EIST settings at all so I don't see that as doing anything to bump clocks up.

At this point, with all options to reset bios to factory defaults and normal EIST function exhausted, only thing left is to install the latest bios from mobo website. There might be microcode fixes for something causing a bug in that function.

The core freqs act normally otherwise. The larger the # of cores engaged, the lower the frequency. I just tested the cpu with Aida64extreme and with full load on all 8 cores the cpu freqs went to 4.1-4.2 GHz from 5-5.1 GHz. Temp went from 30 to 65c.

Mar 10, 2019
I uninstalled the msi program and nothing happened. I am about to format the computer and redo windows. Because before this my cpu temp was barely at 30c. Is wiping everything over kill?

I had the same problem with my 6600k, the reason was the same MSI shit program auto OC it without any reason.

Do not install that crappy software again.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have a load. It's going to run at high speeds because. You aren't at idle with 4% on cpu and 20% on ram. It's very hard nowadays to actually get a true idle because windows10 is always doing something in the background, web checks for the windows store, optimizations, anti-virus online, update checks etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.