[SOLVED] CPU cooler Fan pressing against RAM heatsink and side panel. Ok?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I just installed a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and it is pressing on my ram heatsinks when I put the side pane on.
Does this matter? I did see a similar question on here and the solution suggested that the fan vibration would slowly damage the ram, but didn't explain why. Can anyone second that or is this a non issue?
You can see in the pic I had to remove one half of a heatsink just to get it this good. I can of course remove more heatsinks but before I do I want to know if it is even necessary.

Thoughts?

View: https://imgur.com/a/z7TQO12

Solution
...the solution suggested that the fan vibration would slowly damage the ram, but didn't explain why.
The fan vibration will cause the parts to move microscopically and continuously, wearing down contact areas that were never intended to move like that and once there is enough wear things will fail.

Lutfij

Titan
Yes it does matter, chances are you're going to experience a short, you might want to introduce a strip of paper between the contact points but be careful how you orient it. As for the fan, you should move the fan a couple of notches above the ram's heatsink. The fact that you're working with rams with practically no height on the heatsink indicates that you didn't check your case and the cooler for compatibility.

FYI, if the cooler is being pushed by the case side panel, you should have the side panel on or the cooler in that case.

Reactions: SamirD

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Yes it does matter, chances are you're going to experience a short, you might want to introduce a strip of paper between the contact points but be careful how you orient it. As for the fan, you should move the fan a couple of notches above the ram's heatsink. The fact that you're working with rams with practically no height on the heatsink indicates that you didn't check your case and the cooler for compatibility.

FYI, if the cooler is being pushed by the case side panel, you should have the side panel on or the cooler in that case.

I see. I went by the heaps of photos I saw of builds with this same case and cooler. The issue is in fact the1.5 cm or so the heat spreaders add to the ram, so the first fan on the cooler is up that much higher than the middle one or the heatsinks in the cooler. So the fan is sandwiched between the side panel and the ram.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Not really--most of the time removing the heatspreaders voids the warranty. I would just get another cooler or set of ram (cooler would be cheaper).

Ah... I'll just settle for a 120 up front then.. really wanted that 140 to lower noise but it will probably only make a Db difference anyway. Uneven fans kinda trigger my ocd but oh well. Thanks for the help!

Ah... I'll just settle for a 120 up front then.. really wanted that 140 to lower noise but it will probably only make a Db difference anyway. Uneven fans kinda trigger my ocd but oh well. Thanks for the help!
Not all fans are the same so if you get a higher quality/better spec'd one you should be able to get the airflow you want to keep the noise down and still have proper clearance. :)

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Not all fans are the same so if you get a higher quality/better spec'd one you should be able to get the airflow you want to keep the noise down and still have proper clearance. :)

EDIT: [ So after a longer session my temps are actually only down about 2-3c on GPU and still about 6 on the CPU. }
I actually can't believe this but I just decided to try it with the one 140mm center fan and the temps on my CPU are down about 6c on average from the previous cooler which was a Dark Rock Pro 4 with a 140mm and 120mm fan.
With the current setup in the pic (minus the front tower fan of course) I am getting 60c CPU and 61c GPU, down from 66c and 70c yesterday with the same exact game and run with multiple passes. The two front fans are Noctua A14's and the exhaust is the stock Fractal 120. I have taped off all of the openings on the rear except for where the exhaust fan blows out. I've done this on all my builds and I find it dramatically limits dust build up and improves temperatures. I have specific fan curves on each fan too. But yeah, great cooler. I am impressed.

Some of the gains must be turbulence related. Not having that front fan there kind of opens that space up a lot too.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nEItfhs

Last edited:
I actually can't believe this but I just decided to try it with the one 140mm center fan and the temps on my CPU are down about 6c on average from the previous cooler which was a Dark Rock Pro 4 with a 140mm and 120mm fan.
With the current setup in the pic (minus the front tower fan of course) I am getting 60c CPU and 61c GPU, down from 66c and 70c yesterday with the same exact game and run with multiple passes. The two front fans are Noctua A14's and the exhaust is the stock Fractal 120. I have taped off all of the openings on the rear except for where the exhaust fan blows out. I've done this on all my builds and I find it dramatically limits dust build up and improves temperatures. I have specific fan curves on each fan too. But yeah, great cooler. I am impressed.

Some of the gains must be turbulence related. Not having that front fan there kind of opens that space up a lot too.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nEItfhs
Glad you've found a solution that works. :)

The temperature variances don't surprise me one bit. Back in the day, the airflow for a system was very carefully thought out with air coming in at the lower front of a tower and exiting through the power supply fan at the top. But this was before everything in a case needed forced cooling (1990s).

Today, modern pre-builts have carefully designed airflow paths to keep things cool and do it efficiently. While it seems the mainstream has gone to fans in every direction and completely willy-nilly. I still remember the first time I saw a hole cut in the side of a tower for a fan and knew that fluid dynamics just went out the window...

TRENDING THREADS