rmarvell

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
Hello All

I am looking for a CUP cooler for a Pentium D 840?
Does anybody know which ones work with the Chip or better yet which is best?

Thank you in advance James Ryan

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Did you buy that CPU already ?

If you didn't then DON'T ! :lol:

<A HREF="http://www.overclockers.com/articles1043/" target="_new">Maybe this one</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your not going to get anything but a hard time here if your asking about intel.

I would suggest that you seriously consider going to liquid cooling.

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Intel P4 Extreme(3.73)@<font color=green>5.6Ghz</font color=green>
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium
Crucial Ballistix DDR2 667@DDR2 855

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I have a PIV pc at work and it works fine, but if you compare the price of it to a similar performance system with AMD CPU there's a big difference.
I don't think Intel is that bad, but if you can buy something as good or better for a lower price, why even bother?

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.ecfpd.org/images/safety/fireExtinguisher.jpg" target="_new">This should work</A> to keep your chip cool.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I wasnt doing anything but trying to give the guy an answer to his question. He asked about Intel and I gave him an answer without giving 10 reasons why he should go with AMD. People that already have Intel or want Intel cant get an answer here anymore. Something that never seems to be considered here is that there are alot of people out there that are not very well off when it comes to money. If they have a system, be it Intel or AMD all they get here is their feelings hurt. There are plenty of other situations that dont revolve around money, but the bottom line is that this place has become hard to like for anyone thats not a member of the AMD club. I dont own AMD but have suggested them over Intel most of the time. Im just about to the breaking point with this forum. Im sure there are many that would love to see me go anyhow.

<font color=green>NED FLANDERS FOR PRESIDENT</font color=green> Its justa nother gansta PARTY!
Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I agree that if you want Intel here you'll have a hard time, but if you leave THGC they'll have an even tougher time. Because at least you try to give them unbiased advice.
If they want Intel I ask them if they've considered AMD because there's a lot of people that don't know that there's a good alternative to Intel, but if they want Intel because they want Intel I respect their decision.

If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one thath will go wrong first will be the one that will do the most possible damage

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Its a waste of time. Anything that I say gets hammered so bad that its forgotten almost as quick as I can post it.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
dunklegend makes very valid points, and I completely share his view. Its simple reality that for most enthousiasts here, an AMD setup currently makes far more sense, so if someone asks for upgrade advice or whatever, a sensible and helpfull reply will usually be 'have you considered the A64' ?

Of course, its not always like that, and for certain workloads I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a P4 setup either (not too mention pretty much everyone will recommend a PM for mobile use); or if someone wants to hang on to his motherboard, or is limited to Dell as a supplier or whatever, I will give whatever advice I feel is right within the boundaries set he is subjected to.

BUT if someone just asks which P4 to get just because he thinks he wants a "true intel" or 3+ GHz chip for better gaming performance, what good is it I give him advice ? He is not taking it anyway! If someone asks you which 4 way Itanium board to get for his next ultimate gaming rig, and insists because he thinks Itanium will be the next big thing on the desktop, will you recommend a supermicro 4 way IPF board or tell him he needs to buy a single socket x86 board instead and leave it at that ?

And you are taking all this far too personal, it seems you feel personally insulted because no one recommends your setup. YOu've got an awesome rig there (wanna swap ?), but if you're buying from scratch, and you are not limited somehow in the suppliers you can choose from, for most apps its just not the setup that makes the most sense now, so its not the setup you will see me, or most people here recommend. If you can't live with that.. well, what can I say ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
The guys at XS have had their single stage compressors overloaded fairly easily with a minor overclock...CO2(s) and LN2 are probably his best bets.

If he wants aircooling....<A HREF="http://img.hexus.net/v2/internationalevents/computex_taiwan_2005/zalmancooler/zalman_big_cooler.jpg" target="_new">this</A> might have to do. (yes, that is real) The regular sized version probably won't cut it.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

Porkster knows very little about computers, he's just a 12yo troll using some nice buzz words.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Yeah I think he subscribes to newsletters and just copies and pastes the phrases that seem impressive.

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
Oh please, i did gave him good and honest answer.

But i wasn't clear enough, i ment if it's a complete system he is buying then DONT BUY IT.
But D820 is quite good if main use is encoding divx videos..
For anything else, AMD dual core owns.

But if he is upgrading a CPU then <b>Thermalright XP120 with 120mm fan </b>is good and silent solution for a cooler.

But i wonder if there is any older MB's that can support D820 ? (no there isn't).

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you will look back, you may see that I wasnt talking to you. Thinking that someone is talking to you or about you when they are not is a sure sign of VANITY.

Asus P5AD2-E-Premium

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
You said "Your not going to get anything but a hard time here if your asking about intel. "

I disagree, that's why i said "oh please", AND i also gave him the best answer so far. :p

cheers.

Porkster

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
James, do what you can to get passive cooling and BTX standards. Fan noise is a major issue on systems that have fans or cpu's with fans that run over 4000RPM.

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
>> do what you can to get passive cooling and BTX
>> standards.

>ROFLMFAO! Ah [-peep-] my o-ring is sore again!

ROFL, same here !

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Nothing will cool your 840EE beter than <A HREF="http://www.wholehousefan.com/theghost.html" target="_new">this.</A>

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You could try <A HREF="http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0071SonicTower/cl-p0071.htm" target="_new">this one</A> with a good 120mm fan.

<pre><font color=purple>The silence is golden, even if the PC is olden. Fanless P4C2.6 rocks.</font color=purple></pre><p>@ 190K -> 200,000 miles or bust!