Question CPU Cooler keeps stopping and starting whilst gaming or streaming ?

May 2, 2024
So I’ve been having a problem with my AMD Wraith Prism CPU Cooler. From what I can tell any time the GPU is in use or the PC is doing some actual work the CPU cooler will constantly start and stop in random intervals. So to elaborate I mean when gaming, streaming, running unity etc

I’ve done temperature checks using Ryzen Master and from what I can see everything is completely fine. Resting temperatures around 30-45C and when in use it can reach around 70 on the absolute highest I’ve seen. The temperatures are also quite unaffected by the fan not moving which is pretty strange to me.

Things I’ve tried:

• Uninstalling the Ryzen Master Software (since it messes with the fan curve
• Resetting CMOS
• Limiting the CPU
• Changing the Fan Header on the MOBO
• Unchecking the Auto Fan Curve In BIOS

Something interested I noticed in the BIOS was the higher the RPM the slower the fan would move up until it nearly reached its Max RPM

Specs:

MBD: MSI Mag B550 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 3060, Ventus 2X
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair CV550 Gold

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

the CPU cooler will constantly start and stop in random intervals. So to elaborate I mean when gaming, streaming, running unity etc
+
I’ve done temperature checks using Ryzen Master and from what I can see everything is completely fine. Resting temperatures around 30-45C and when in use it can reach around 70 on the absolute highest I’ve seen.
You can try and hook up a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header and see if that changes what you're experiencing. If you do, then it's possible your BIOS is corrupt or your board needs to be replaced. If the BIOS is corrupt, you can try and reflash it or see if it's pending any updates. If the board is the fault(as in the header is compromised) then the board needs to be replaced.

May 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the PSU in your build?

What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard?

the CPU cooler will constantly start and stop in random intervals. So to elaborate I mean when gaming, streaming, running unity etc
+
I’ve done temperature checks using Ryzen Master and from what I can see everything is completely fine. Resting temperatures around 30-45C and when in use it can reach around 70 on the absolute highest I’ve seen.
You can try and hook up a PWM fan to the CPU_FAN header and see if that changes what you're experiencing. If you do, then it's possible your BIOS is corrupt or your board needs to be replaced. If the BIOS is corrupt, you can try and reflash it or see if it's pending any updates. If the board is the fault(as in the header is compromised) then the board needs to be replaced.
Hello! Thanks for the welcome :)

The PSU is between 4-6 months old (this is a pretty new build)

The BIOS versions number is: E7C91AMS.250 (Build Date: 07/03/2023)

May 2, 2024
CV550 is Bronze, not Gold! What's your real PSU?

BIOS is old. You have to update.
You’re right about the PSU I just checked the box. I previously had a different PSU that was faulty that I returned hence the confusion, my apologies. It is the CV550 Bronze

Maybe not the right place to ask but where do you update the BIOS?

May 2, 2024
You’re right about the PSU I just checked the box. I previously had a different PSU that was faulty that I returned hence the confusion, my apologies. It is the CV550 Bronze

Maybe not the right place to ask but where do you update the BIOS?
Currently updating the BIOS, ignore the previous question!