[SOLVED] CPU Cooler recommendation (for 10600 non k)

Ridiche Salatoi

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
Hi. I want to buy a CPU cooler for my future 10600 non k and I thought one of the following models would be good:
  1. Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B2
  2. Noctua NH-U12S
  3. Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
Which of the mentioned models has the best results when it comes to temperatures? I was thinking of buying the Noctua model, but I've watched some video reviews that show it is worse than the Mugen 5. Others are saying it is better, so idk. Waiting for your opinion, thanks!

Solution
Careful with ram OC.

Anything listed after 2933MHz will have (OC) after it in the listing. That means the possibility of 2 things. Not only are those speeds an overclock from stock DDR4 speeds, but the ram may need cpu overclock to support the ram speeds. Having a non-K cpu, it's locked, so there is no OC possible regardless of the motherboard, and that can include the need to raise the vccio, vccsa, system agent, memory controller voltages etc.

It's entirely possible you'll not be able to run xmp rated speeds over @ 3000MHz, so spending extra for the Z rated board based just on that idea may not work out as intended.
For a non-K intel core i5 10600 any of those will be good, the mugen 5 is a bigger cooler so is not surprise to see is a bit better than the noctuas. But since you wont be doing OCing any of those will be really good.
Keep in mind the Core i5 10600 should come with a stock cooler in the box. I would try that one first to know how it performs before buying a new one.

The Z490 you only buying that to be able to enable XMP overclocking profile for the RAM right?, Or perhaps to be buying a new overclockable CPU in the future?

Ridiche Salatoi

Honorable
Jun 27, 2015
For a non-K intel core i5 10600 any of those will be good, the mugen 5 is a bigger cooler so is not surprise to see is a bit better than the noctuas. But since you wont be doing OCing any of those will be really good.
Keep in mind the Core i5 10600 should come with a stock cooler in the box. I would try that one first to know how it performs before buying a new one.

The Z490 you only buying that to be able to enable XMP overclocking profile for the RAM right?, Or perhaps to be buying a new overclockable CPU in the future?
Thank you for your answer! Yes, since Intel decided not to allow Ram OC on b460 or H470, that is why I choose to buy a Z490 motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Careful with ram OC.

Anything listed after 2933MHz will have (OC) after it in the listing. That means the possibility of 2 things. Not only are those speeds an overclock from stock DDR4 speeds, but the ram may need cpu overclock to support the ram speeds. Having a non-K cpu, it's locked, so there is no OC possible regardless of the motherboard, and that can include the need to raise the vccio, vccsa, system agent, memory controller voltages etc.

It's entirely possible you'll not be able to run xmp rated speeds over @ 3000MHz, so spending extra for the Z rated board based just on that idea may not work out as intended.

Solution
Is the price difference big between the 10600 and the 10600K? if it is not huge, then just get the 10600K as it is a great gaming CPU and later on you can play around with overclocking as it is very easy to unlock 5GHz all core on the 10600K and a performance jump to go with it...

But as initially asked, any of those CPU coolers will do the job on the non K version...

TRENDING THREADS