[SOLVED] CPU Cooling

eleandro.enriquez

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
So i’m building a new gaming rig with a i7 8700k and gtx 1080 ti but i’m not sure what CPU cooler to go for. I don’t know if i should go with an AIO or an air cooler. I’ve been looking at the Kraken x62 and x52 and the Noctua Nh-d15.

I obviously like how the Krakens look but i’m afraid that it’ll leak or the pumps will just stop working. While the Noctua has overall good performance but looks hideous (especially because i’m going for an rgb black and blue look)

any suggestions?

Solution
All available AIOS are exactly the same with the exception of color and aestetics and fans! so i would go for the cheapest wich is equal to the Kraken (one of the most expensive) but with less swagy color and appearance. Best price/performance AIO is the coolermaster ml360R and the thermaltake floering 3.0. but if you whant a 240mm aio than i sugest the top air cooler wich performs the same and are cheaper like the Noctua or Cryorig R1.
This all depends on the case you'll be using and the maximum cpu cooler height/radiator support.. Yes pumps do fail, but there are built in thermal protection technologies in the processor to ensure they do not over heat to the point of damaging hardware and these failures only seem common because people that have had good experiences with them are too busy using their systems and rarely take the time to leave positive review feedback. There are new Noctua Chromax all black air CPU coolers, however they haven't been released yet and the Deep Cool Assassin III supposedly can out perform the NHD15, however the NHD15 outperforms the Deep Cool Assassin III in acoustics (Not decibel but pitch) however this would not be a deciding factor for myself.

The only caveat to air coolers that size is blocking ram RGB aesthetics and the weight of the air cooler itself. For those reasons I will never go air cooler in a high end system like the one you have because if you're spending that kind of money, spending a little bit more on an AIO shouldn't be the deciding factor. I'd rather mount the AIO to the case and use the preapplied thermal compound on the AIO, resulting in ease of installation and better aesthetics for the money.

My only exception to high end air coolers are my test benches due to having the motherboard horizontal and strictly non RGB builds where there is no glass on the side of the case where aesthetics are not an issue. Don't get me wrong, there are circumstances where high end all black air coolers like the bequiet dark rock pro 4 looks amazing in certain builds.

Last edited:
Reactions: eleandro.enriquez

eleandro.enriquez

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
This all depends on the case you'll be using and the maximum cpu cooler height/radiator support.. Yes pumps do fail, but there are built in thermal protection technologies in the processor to ensure they do not over heat to the point of damaging hardware and these failures only seem common because people that have had good experiences with them are too busy using their systems and rarely take the time to leave positive review feedback. There are new Noctua Chromax all black air CPU coolers, however they haven't been released yet and the Deep Cool Assassin III supposedly can out perform the NHD15, however the NHD15 outperforms the Deep Cool Assassin III in acoustics (Not decibel but pitch) however this would not be a deciding factor for myself.

The only caveat to air coolers that size is blocking ram RGB aesthetics and the weight of the air cooler itself. For those reasons I will never go air cooler in a high end system like the one you have because if you're spending that kind of money, spending a little bit more on an AIO shouldn't be the deciding factor. I'd rather mount the AIO to the case and use the preapplied thermal compound on the AIO, resulting in ease of installation and better aesthetics for the money.

My only exception to high end air coolers are my test benches due to having the motherboard horizontal and strictly non RGB builds where there is no glass on the side of the case where aesthetics are not an issue. Don't get me wrong, there are circumstances where high end all black air coolers like the bequiet dark rock pro 4 looks amazing in certain builds.
ohhhh ok. so would you recommend the kraken x62 for a cooler master h500 case? and if so, where should i mount the radiator and fans? my room also gets really hot (high 30cs) so i’m try to get the best cooling/airflow for the pc. and how long do the pumps usually last?

If i do opt for an air cooler, is the dark pro any good?

MrBird

BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Cryorig R1 = dark pro 4 = DH14/15 all very good i think they are the top 3/4 very best Air coolers around.....with similar performance between the 3/4 of them

The krakens are great but my preference is Corsair Platinum and I personally would mount the AIO on the top so the dual front 200mm fans can intake unrestricted air. Another viable option would be the Cooler Master ML360.

Keep in mind there are multiple variants of the H500 (Top mounted rad options below):
  1. H500 only supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm.
  2. H500m supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, 360mm.
  3. H500p supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, 360mm
The h500m is significantly more expensive but comes with more bells and whistles. One of my favorites is the graphics card stand that helps prevent gpu sag with larger graphics cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: eleandro.enriquez

eleandro.enriquez

Commendable
Apr 13, 2018
The krakens are great but my preference is Corsair Platinum and I personally would mount the AIO on the top so the dual front 200mm fans can intake unrestricted air. Another viable option would be the Cooler Master ML360.

Keep in mind there are multiple variants of the H500 (Top mounted rad options below):
  1. H500 only supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm.
  2. H500m supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, 360mm.
  3. H500p supports 120mm, 140mm, 240mm, 280mm, 360mm
The h500m is significantly more expensive but comes with more bells and whistles. One of my favorites is the graphics card stand that helps prevent gpu sag with larger graphics cards.
i think ill just be getting the h500. What AIO would you recommend? I like how the krakens looks t i would rather have a more durable/reliable AIO.

MrBird

BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
All available AIOS are exactly the same with the exception of color and aestetics and fans! so i would go for the cheapest wich is equal to the Kraken (one of the most expensive) but with less swagy color and appearance. Best price/performance AIO is the coolermaster ml360R and the thermaltake floering 3.0. but if you whant a 240mm aio than i sugest the top air cooler wich performs the same and are cheaper like the Noctua or Cryorig R1.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS