[SOLVED] CPU Core and Socket temp.

Solution
VeryRawr,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

... Is it normal to have CPU Core Temp higher than Socket?
I tried to google it. Everywhere people posting that Core Temp should be lower than Socket.

Here is the photo,
"Everywhere people posting" often amounts to misinformation, especially when the differences between AMD and Intel processor thermal measurements are confused with one another. Although many AMD motherboards measure Socket temperature, Intel motherboards typically do not. However, the MSI utility shown in your screenshot is monitoring a socket sensor, which is an exception to the norm.

Since the heat sources are located deep within the Cores at the transistor junction "hot spots"...
Hello,

Is it normal to have CPU Core Temp higher than Socket?
I tried to google it. Everywhere people posting that Core Temp should be lower than Socket.

Here is the photo,

Thank You.
What are your system spec's? especially CPU/motherboard/cooler but also case psu and gpu.

But assuming the CPU core temperature is the actual core temp reported by the CPU itself I'd assume it's much more 'accurate' than the socket temp because the core temp comes from a diode right in the die itself. Socket temp is read by a thermistor or diode somewhere close to the CPU and can even be skewed if a fan happens to be blowing air directly on it. And in most cases, the CPU would use the core temp to guide it's boosting and protection algorithms, assuming it's fairly modern and has them.

And by the way, these motherboard and cpu temp sensors aren't ever exactly 'accurate' as they're never calibrated and subject to a lot of variables that influence what they're reporting. But they're the best we have and good enough to get an idea of the thermal state of the CPU core at the moment you're viewing it.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
Core temps are always lower for me, so historically I've gone with whatever the high temp was just to stay on the safe side.

I'd be very interested in hearing what everyone has to say about this.
text to speech online converter for free

Last edited:
It depends on the CPU...older CPUs were notorious for having questionable temp sensors that's why many reveiwers would place there own temp sensors on boards or use the socket temp. Modern CPUs are much better and report more reliable core temps but the best method is to use software like Ryzen Master that averages die temps instead of focusing on normal temporary CPU spikes which can be misleading. So old cpus using socket "may" be more reliable but nothing beats stand alone temp probes...on new cpus an averaged core temp is best.

Aug 26, 2020
What are your system spec's? especially CPU/motherboard/cooler but also case psu and gpu.

But assuming the CPU core temperature is the actual core temp reported by the CPU itself I'd assume it's much more 'accurate' than the socket temp because the core temp comes from a diode right in the die itself. Socket temp is read by a thermistor or diode somewhere close to the CPU and can even be skewed if a fan happens to be blowing air directly on it.

Oh, it might be.

My Spec:
MOTHERBOARD: MSI MAG Z390 TOMAHAWK
CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K
CPU COOLER: BE QUIET! DARK ROCK PRO 4
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING X TRIO 8GB
PSU: AeroCool LUX 650W RGB 80 PLUS

CompuTronix

Intel Master
VeryRawr,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

... Is it normal to have CPU Core Temp higher than Socket?

Here is the photo,
"Everywhere people posting" often amounts to misinformation, especially when the differences between AMD and Intel processor thermal measurements are confused with one another. Although many AMD motherboards measure Socket temperature, Intel motherboards typically do not. However, the MSI utility shown in your screenshot is monitoring a socket sensor, which is an exception to the norm.

Since the heat sources are located deep within the Cores at the transistor junction "hot spots" where temperatures are highest, Core temperatures are higher than socket temperature. Therefore, your most critical thermal values are Core temperatures, followed by VRM (Voltage Regulator Module) temperature. Socket temperature is inconsequential. If you're interested in seeing detailed monitoring information, then the most highly recommended utility is HWiNFO, which is frequently updated and know for accuracy.

At the top of our Forums are "Sticky" threads, which are information resources that are permanently stuck in place so they're always available for everyone's benefit. At the top of the CPUs Forum where you posted this thread is a Sticky you should read: Intel Temperature Guide.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Solution