Question CPU crash at slightest Clock Ratio change

Sep 13, 2019
Hi everyone,

I started benchmarking and undervolting/overclocking my new Ryzen 7 2700X CPU yesterday, and even though I seem to have good results when simply undervolting it, the CPU crashes as soon as I try to benchmark it with a higher Clock Ratio, even small ones. Where do you think it may come from?

PC Build: CPU Ryzen 7 2700X, Stock Wraith Spire Cooler w/ stock thermal paste, Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro, RAM 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz, GPU Sapphire RX5700, PSU Corsair RM750 Gold

I am doing my overclocking through the BIOS, here are the settings of my undervolting:
BIOS all stock auto settings, D.O.C.P. activated for the RAM at 3200Mhz, BCLK 100.0 Ratio x37.0, Offset -0,100 V

I am benchmarking with Cinebench, and I get 3830 pts score at Max Clock 3,8 Ghz, 1,35V. These scores are about identical as when I run Cinebench with all-auto mode, only the max temperature drops from 82°C to 75°C. I experienced no crashes whatsoever with -0.100 V Offset, I ran 6 Cinebench tests, did all my Heaven tests for my GPU and played Monster Hunter World at all-maxed Settings for 4 hours with this config, and I never had a crash or instability, which makes me think I had a very good draw in the lottery undervolting-wise.

The problem is, as soon as I tried to push the Clock Ratio, the PC would invariably crash at the beginning of the Cinebench run, even on full-auto settings with no Undervolting, even with only a x37.5 ratio instead of x37 stock.

For now I am quite content with my 3,8Ghz -0,1V config, but I am curious to know where the problem might come from. Did I just draw a very bad silicon lottery for overclocking, or may it come from some of the settings?
Besides, I have a ASUS Prime X470 Pro, which from what I read does not have great VRMs for overclocking, could the crashes come from there? I am curious, as for me there is a difference between "It's not great but it can do base overclocking under 4.0Mghz", and "it can't withstand overclocking whatsoever". This is the first time I am getting into benchmarking and overclocking, so despite all the guides and videos I have seen I lack experience, there may well be some important settings I overlooked.

All thoughts welcome :)

Sep 13, 2019
weird thing about that mobo, i got b450m asus board and ive been reaching 4.1 on my r5-1600 without much of an issue. Do you have all the power saving modes off on mobo? Virtualisation of cpu off?

Sep 13, 2019
weird thing about that mobo, i got b450m asus board and ive been reaching 4.1 on my r5-1600 without much of an issue. Do you have all the power saving modes off on mobo? Virtualisation of cpu off?
I am not sure they are, as I left as many options on default as possible. Which settings should I look for?

Sep 13, 2019
if its all default then most likely virtualisation is off, power saving though should be somewhere in cpu settings i believe, idk if our bioses are the same, once im at home ill check it and send a pic of such if you dont find it sooner.

Sep 13, 2019
if its all default then most likely virtualisation is off, power saving though should be somewhere in cpu settings i believe, idk if our bioses are the same, once im at home ill check it and send a pic of such if you dont find it sooner.
That would be nice, thanks! :)

Sep 13, 2019
From what I've read there's little benefit from manual overclocking of a 2700X. You can play around with the voltage offset, but I'd leave everything else stock, or use PBO to overclock if you want.
Yes, my CPU is quite enough for what I am doing with it, and it feels especially good and silent with the undervolting and fan curve I applied to it, but I am curious about how it works, and as a first time overclocking/undervolting experience it has some valuable educational value ^^

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
undervolting is not always good though, noticed with my 1600, the more i undervolted it the lower cinebench scores i was reaching while maintaining the same clock.
Interesting. I've heard of this happening with Ryzen 3000 CPUs but I didn't think it affected older Ryzen chips.

So yeah, definitely double check to make sure your performance isn't being negatively affected whenever you're adjusting your undervolt.

Sep 13, 2019
Interesting. I've heard of this happening with Ryzen 3000 CPUs but I didn't think it affected older Ryzen chips.

So yeah, definitely double check to make sure your performance isn't being negatively affected whenever you're adjusting your undervolt.
indeed it does affect ryzen 1s as well, no clue about ryzen 2xxx but i assume it's same story over all the versions. Sadly when building 2600 rig for a friend i had no time to oc it cuz he wanted it asap and didnt bother with ocing it, also i dont think i would be able to reach as good clocks on it due to all aluminium heatsink on 2xxx series which was an unpleasant surprise to me, intel vibes.

Im curious how will wraith prism work on 5 1600, im hoping for 4.2ghz oc at the least

Sep 13, 2019
I have results on google spreadsheet but it's blocked at work and cant access it on phone, i have screenshots on this forum of 4.0 oc with bench scores at 1.4v
comment_PhimVXIVSdlNOGDoiPhfQdtTjRRN9Hrl,w400.jpg

Stability testing was done with aida and cinebench and some gaming.