[SOLVED] CPU downclocks to 800 Mhz and 30% utilisation (i5-9300H)

Status
Not open for further replies.

badea_alexandru01

Commendable
Dec 24, 2017
I recently bought a new gaming laptop (it's 2 months old) it worked perfectly until recently.
This is the laptop: ( https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Gaming-FX505GT-i5-9300H/dp/B0811ZSCLQ )
An i5-9300H and a GTX 1650 4 gb, nothing impressive but enough for me.

When I turn it on, it starts up at normal speed with 4 ghz and after i start using it it downlocks to 800 ghz and 30% use max, can't hear the cpu cooler at all, and it's unusable, it lags a lot. Also if I don't do anything at all, it comes back to 2,4 ghz, but as soon as i use an app or something it goes back to 0,8 ghz. The weird thing is if I disconnect it from power ( I leave it on battery) it comes back to normal and sometimes it just works normally, after a few restarts or just on pure luck.
Here is a video of the whole thing happening:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA-SGjoo-wI&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=Alexandru10
you can hear the cooler cpu do the work it should and after that it goes silent, he is a pussy.

CPU-Z ss: https://prnt.sc/vapaab

Who helps me repair this son of a b has a beer from me.

Solution
You might wanna check windows power options. The lowest state is 800mhz, and since running on battery solves the issue, I suspect that's the case. Make sure maximum state is not at 0%
Reference Image

There is another thing that can cause this issue:
If you have a Dedicated GPU, then sometimes, the laptop gets "Stuck" and is unable to switch back to iGPU and this causes high power draw, leading to lowering of clocks. Weird bug, not sure what causes it, could be driver, or windows 10. In that case, try running a game or photoshop and see if it gets back to speed again.

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
What does that do? Can I disable that through ThrottleStop? It says in the title.

Also I want to specify that after a fresh windows reinstall the problem is still there. :(
Then its problably dptf, just disable it with the tutorial i gave you, and yes my dads laptop used to have the same problem but this time its on a crappy celeron that cant even outpace a core 2 duo xD, it used to throttle at 65c when charging, now itll go to 90c before it thermal throttles

mohitakundi

Honorable
Mar 19, 2015
You might wanna check windows power options. The lowest state is 800mhz, and since running on battery solves the issue, I suspect that's the case. Make sure maximum state is not at 0%
Reference Image

There is another thing that can cause this issue:
If you have a Dedicated GPU, then sometimes, the laptop gets "Stuck" and is unable to switch back to iGPU and this causes high power draw, leading to lowering of clocks. Weird bug, not sure what causes it, could be driver, or windows 10. In that case, try running a game or photoshop and see if it gets back to speed again.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.