[SOLVED] CPU Fan error message PLUS Date/Time keep resetting: new CMOS battery, fans cleaned.

Jul 13, 2020
Seems a complex problem so didnt know where to put this.
Had PC 4 yrs no problem but now every time I turn on my PC I get th CPU fan error press F1 to Setup message AND my date/time settings are lost (generally resetting to 2009 but can vary.)
I cleaned the fans then swapped in a brand new CMOS battery. Still getting same. I've repeatedly told BIOS to ignore fan settings but looks like all settings are getting discarded after closing down - hence the new CMOS battery.
Help please. Many thanks.

Solution
The CPU fan connections and operations should NOT affect this. The fact that when shut down, your system loses date / time and BIOS configuration settings says the mobo circuits are not getting any power from that battery. I can think of only three possibilities:
(a) the new battery is dead;
(b) the Reset jumper is on the wrong pins and shorting out the power feed to the mobo (IF this was that way for a longish time, that could have killed the new battery); or
(c) the contacts for the battery in its holder are dirty and interfering with its connection to the mobo. A similar item might be if the battery holder contacts somehow have broken off from the circuit board traces.
Jul 13, 2020
If the CMOS battery took care of the clock resets, some systems require fan fail messages to be manually removed from the CMOS.
They don't go away when you solve the problem.
thanks, i didnt realise that. no, the time n date are still random. but your comment got me looking into resetting the CMOS plus I think i changed the batteries over pretty quickly.
So tomorrow going to remove battery, move jumpers - leave 30 seconds then reposition jumpers, replace battery. Fingers crossed.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree that you should re-do the BIOS Reset with the new battery installation. You might consider doing another step or two.

After you have removed the battery, reset, and replaced new battery, boot directly into BIOS Setup. Go to the the EXIT Menu and look there for an option to "Load Optimal Settings" or "Load Factory Defaults", and choose that. This will ensure that a complete and reliable initial set of parameters are entered in BIOS. Then return to the BIOS Setup Main Menu and start through any settings you think will need to be adjusted. That might include, for example, setting the date and time, setting the preferred sequence of Boot Devices, or re-activating a RAID system, or specifying that it should use a video card in the PCIe slots rather than a mobo-based video, etc. When you have made all the custom adjustment you need, go through the EXIT Menu page again to SAVE and EXIT. Your system will reboot with all the new settings.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, You can go into BIOS Setup at any time and change settings, then SAVE and EXIT. So at first, make only changes you are sure you need (like which drive to boot from, IF there is any choice) and go from there. If you decide later that something else needs a tweak, you can do it then.

Jul 13, 2020
Yes, You can go into BIOS Setup at any time and change settings, then SAVE and EXIT. So at first, make only changes you are sure you need (like which drive to boot from, IF there is any choice) and go from there. If you decide later that something else needs a tweak, you can do it then.

Hi. I changed Jumper pins and removed battery for a good minute, returned everything, fired it up and forgot your advice to press DEl and the CPU Fan message came up again.
So I pressed F1 and found the date/time settings had gone back to 2009 and the CPU Fan was in the Red.
I chose Load Optimal Defaults and came out.
I worked on PC for 4 hrs and turned it off.
Fired it up 2 hrs later and both problems are still there.
Tried load opt defaults again, turned it off for2 minutes andturned it back on without any problem.
It's almost as though BIOS memory being wiped if PC is off for more than a few minutes. Battery brand new/shelf life 2030.
I'll repeat exercise tomorrow and remember to enter BIOS before Fan error message, work on PC, give it a couple of hours break and check it.
If problem remains do you have any suggestions for further steps.?
Thanks.

Jul 13, 2020
What you have done should have cured the problem. It is possible (not likely, but can happen) that the new battery you bought was actually dead, too. Another possibility: did you install it in its holder backwards?
Hi. Did everything correctly. Can't test the battery but bought last week, Duracell, Man:3/2020 - Exp:3/2030 still problem persists.
Is it possible that an underlying problem with the CPU/CPUfan/or even the PSU could in itself prevent the BIOS from retaining settings?
For example ... if I didn't clean the fan/CPU sufficiently could that be sufficient to cause the BIOS situation?Any other route by which BIOS could keep losing the time/date settings?
Thanks for your help here. I might have to bite the bullet and get my PC Doctor to take my poor baby away for the week.
Cheers.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The CPU fan connections and operations should NOT affect this. The fact that when shut down, your system loses date / time and BIOS configuration settings says the mobo circuits are not getting any power from that battery. I can think of only three possibilities:
(b) the Reset jumper is on the wrong pins and shorting out the power feed to the mobo (IF this was that way for a longish time, that could have killed the new battery); or
(c) the contacts for the battery in its holder are dirty and interfering with its connection to the mobo. A similar item might be if the battery holder contacts somehow have broken off from the circuit board traces.

Solution
Jul 13, 2020

Well... turned PC on yesterday and voila!Booted up fine. No errormessage and the time/date have not been lost. And...same again today!
Why the delay between resetting BIOS/changing battery and a return to normality I really don't know. I'd started it twice and still got the error message. Anyway, for now things seem fine. I guess it's a case of wait and see. If it starts again I think the battery contacts is worth bearing in mind.
I appreciate your time on this. I've definitely learned something and picked up a few options in case of further probs. Might be premature but I'm happy to consider it solved.All the best.

TRENDING THREADS