cpu fan problem, computer failing to load

indough

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
hi guys, just built a new system here and running into a few problems

its a uBTX factor case and motherboard, and i believe my problem is either with the 4 pin connector for the thermal module or with its connection on the motherboard itself, as the computer boots fine when i plug the thermal module into a 3 pin fan connector but nothing comes up on the screen when i plug it into the 4 pin connector

problem is that i need to use the 4 pin to regulate fan speed as its way too loud otherwise

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

indough

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
it does work when i plug it into a chassis fan but not when i plug it into the cpu fan, which is where it should go - its just not ideal having it plugged into the wrong plug as like i said it wont regulate the fan speed

it did work once when i plugged it in there but i moved the machine and it didnt work again

If you connect the CPU fan to any other fan power connector you're bound to have problems. The motherboard will not sense the speed of the fan, and may shut things down or create warning/error messages.

If you plug your CPU fan into the CPU fan plug, and things aren't working, there's likely something else going on that needs to be addressed.

When you say that "it didn't work again" what exactly do you mean? What happens, or does not happen?

indough

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
when i plug the 4 pin cable from the thermal module into the 4 pin connection, ie the cpu fan connection, the computer makes noises as though it were working but i get no video output on the monitor, on one occasion when i had the thermal module hooked up to the 4 pin cpu fan connection as described it did function normally, the fan speed was slower (as desired) and the computer booted just fine, but as soon as i switched it off and moved the machine to its location the computer wouldnt boot anymore

the only way i can get it working reasonably is to hook the thermal module up to a 3 pin chassis fan connection, when i do this everything is ok and im getting a cpu temp of around 30-32 degrees C

Hmm, very odd. I'm tempted to suggest checking to make sure the CPU is seated properly. Just in case it is slightly loose and moving in/out of position as you connect/reconnect the fan power connector.

Other than that, short of having a mobo malfunction of some kind or the rare case of the fan itself not being compatible with your mobo, not sure what else to suggest.

If your CPU is running 30-32C you're doing good there. So the fan is adequate, though I assume it may run at 100% speed connected to a 3pin connector.

Still though, you may wish to try re-seating your CPU and seeing if that has any affect. Otherwise I'm sort of at a loss.

indough

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
yeah i figure its either got to be a problem with the fans connector or the place on the motherboard where it connects to, but i have no similar fan to try on it

i really cant use it with the fan at 100% as its loud as hell and the reason i built this is for audio applications haha its doing my head in