CPU fan spinning too fast

16-bit

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Hi. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice with my new cpu fan/cooler. I tried to do a search, but I couldn't find a definite answer.

I recently replaced my Cooler Master cpu fan because it was just too loud. After some searching I decided on a ThermalTake Golden orb II as a replacement due to it's 17dba rating. I installed it using Artic Silver 5 and everything went well with installation.

The problem is it's loud, it's almost as loud as my orinal Cooler Master which was rated at 23dba. The fan seems to be running at full tilt. The BIOS shows it running at around 1800rpm @ idle. It should be at 1600. I've tried adjusting the BIOS settings to slow it down, but it seems to have no effect. I also downloaded a program called SpeedFan that also didn't have any result.

Is there anyway I can slow it down? It has a three pin connector if that makes a difference. I've seen some sources that say 3 pin fans aren't able to be speed controlled. Is this true?

My computer is running a:
MSI P6NGM Socket LGA775 motherboard
Intel dual core 2.2
2gb ram

Any help or info is appreciated. Thanks :)

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
as far as i know 3 pin fans can be controlled manually... 4 pins are controlled automatically

and yeah, those dB ratings are in ideal conditions, like in an ice cold room, 3 feet in front of the case, while its closed -_-

Yes, you can use a fan controller.

As you have just learned, the manufacturer's stated noise level is overly optimistic. It does not match reality. Happens all the time. Most of the noise is caused by air moving through, over, under, and around parts.

You do have another possible solution. If you purchase a fan controller and reduce the rpm to reduce the noise, then you will also be reducing airflow and cooling capacity. Why not simply just buy a better fan in say the 800 or even the 1200 rpm range and install it?