[SOLVED] CPU fan spins on startup, then stops once Windows loads ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf_Knight

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
I recently brought my PC home from college. This morning (before I left), everything was in order. However, now that I have returned home, I plugged everything in and noticed that the CPU cooler is not spinning once windows has loaded. It spins when the computer starts for around 5-10 seconds, then powers off and stops spinning. The lights on the fan are working as well, it is just not spinning. I'm unsure what would have caused it or what can be done about it, I have restarted the PC multiple times, cleaned the fan (albeit not perfectly), and tried re-plugging everything in. I was also unsure if I should even use the PC right now, as without the CPU cooler running, I was worried about monitoring the CPU temp. Any ideas? Should I/ should I not use the PC for now?

Specs:
Ryzen 7 3800X
(Stock) AMD Wraith Cooler
Gigabyte B550 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard
X2 G.Skill Aegis 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

Last edited:
Solution
It COULD be a setting in your bios making your fans only spin at a certain temp, just a possibility. My Motherboard has that :/

Maybe just a loose wire too since motherboards are very finicky, especially with the 3 pin fans in 4 pin slots.
Dec 12, 2021
Is that the only fan that has a problem? Have you tried siwtching that fan with another from your PC? Is it using a Fan splitter? If you moved the fan with another and it's still not working most likely its the fan. Are there any obstructions, such as cables, zip ties hitting the fan?

Wolf_Knight

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
Is that the only fan that has a problem? Have you tried switching that fan with another from your PC? Is it using a Fan splitter? If you moved the fan with another and it's still not working most likely its the fan. Are there any obstructions, such as cables, zip ties hitting the fan?
It is the only fan that stopped working, I haven't swapped it to another PC, but it is plugged into the CPU_FAN header. There aren't any obstructions, as I cleaned the dust from the fan and it should be fine now. Will try swapping now.

Wolf_Knight

Commendable
Jul 11, 2019
It is the only fan that stopped working, I haven't swapped it to another PC, but it is plugged into the CPU_FAN header. There aren't any obstructions, as I cleaned the dust from the fan and it should be fine now. Will try swapping now.
The other fan worked fine, and when I reinstalled my fan, it began working again. Not sure what I did to fix it but I'll take it I guess?

Dec 12, 2021
You can try swapping it to another location within your PC. Swap it's position with an exhaust or intake to see if it helps or if the fan you put in its current position fails as well. I had an issue with my O11 dynamic a fan was rubbing on the fan mount location on the side i had to bend it just a tad to keep it from rubbing, you can also swap the header its connected to to.

ReignOfHell

Commendable
Aug 7, 2020
It COULD be a setting in your bios making your fans only spin at a certain temp, just a possibility. My Motherboard has that :/

Maybe just a loose wire too since motherboards are very finicky, especially with the 3 pin fans in 4 pin slots.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.