CPU Fan Won't Spin

vilun

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
I just installed my AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000 into my new computer after adding some Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound to the factory included thermal paste on the heatsink and I manage to boot into the BIOS but my CPU fan appears not to be spinning. I have it hooked into the mobo and can't see any real reason for its inability to work. Is it possible to apply the heatsink and fan upsidedown? Is there something I need to switch in the BIOS or do I need to boot into windows for it to work properly? Could having the thermal compound applied wrong keep the fan from working? Any help you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.

randomizer

Champion
I commend you if you managed to install it upside down :lol:
No you would have to be "smart" enough to remove and alter the retention mechanism to do that. Plus if it was upside down your CPU would overheat extremely fast, like within seconds, because the flat conductive surface is facing away and the fins are touching the CPU heatspreader surface, meaning very little, if any, contact.

No the fan should start the moment the PC is turned on, as no software is required to run it (except some RPM monitoring stuff which adjusts the speed according to temperature). It is possible that you plugged it in the wrong way, but you would have had to really force it to do that. I would check anyway. The fan may also be faulty, this is entirely possible. And since thermal compound is simply gunk that increases the contact between the heatsink and heatspeader on the CPU, it has no effect on the operation of the fan, unless you got heaps of it in the motor, but I don't know how you'd manage that.

Anyway, first make sure the plug is in correctly, it should go in easy as it is keyed so that it only goes one way. Make sure its all the way in.

makoau58

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Try using another case fan pin on the mobo to see if the fan spins up. If so your cpu fan connector on the mobo is faulty. Problem with using another o/board fan pin is it will probably run at full speed all the time but at least for now it will tell you if your cpu fan is working

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

You added TIM to already applied TIM? Oh well, other than making a large goopy mess that you now have to clean up, shouldn't hurt.

Are you sure that you plugged the HS fan into the CPU fan connector? Most CPU fans are three pin (one for voltage control) and most case fans are two pin. I'd think that it would be difficult to do it any other way, but...

OK, do this. First, remove your HS and fan, then clean up the mess. You will find many articles on how to do that in many places.

Then go buy yourself a new CPU fan, say a Scythe or somesuch, re-apply your TIM (according to MFG's instructions, you know, that small piece of paper now in the bottom of a waste bin somewhere) and go at it a second time.

AS5 IS slightly conductive...

No good? RMA MB.

Good luck.

vilun

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
So I hooked the CPU fan to the 3-pin cooling fan connector and now the fan is spinning. Whats my next step? Do I need to return the motherboard or will having it setup this way be fine?

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
So I hooked the CPU fan to the 3-pin cooling fan connector and now the fan is spinning. Whats my next step? Do I need to return the motherboard or will having it setup this way be fine?
Which cooling fan connector? What label on motherboard? To test for correct operation, go into BIOS and find the section for hardware monitor, select CPU temp and just wath it for 10 minutes. Temp should rise for a bit, then stabilise. If keeps rising, shut down and re-do the heatsink fitting process.

Mike.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Has anyone mentioend "Cool 'N' Quiet"? Check your hardware monitoring settings and look at CPU temp. Make sure temps stay below 50C. The BIOS monitors your 3-pin fan by providing power to it based on CPU temp (if C 'N' Q is enabled.) If your CPU temp is around 30C or so, it may not even power your fan.

vilun

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
At the moment the CPU fan is hooked up to the casfan1 connector on the motherboard and is just spinning constantly, the noise is minimal and I think I'm going to leave it this way unless you guys have any objections. I tried to hook it up with "Cool 'N' Quiet" turned off to see if it would start spinning and it was a no go. However I have hooked up another fan to that cpu fan connector and it is working fine...so I don't know what's going on. Anyway I think I'm going to leave it the way it is right now...on a side note though, I tried hooking my internet connection to the two RJ-45 connectors on the I/O of my mobo and I couldn't get a connection, I installed a network card and then it worked fine...any thoughts on this?

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005

As a matter of fact, my CnQ on my past build shuts down the CPU fan when the temp is below 35C.

Sounds like the PWM (as I think its called) on the fan is damaged or something. Of the three pins, two provide power and one is the fan speed detector. Does your BIOS show any RPM readings for that CPU fan? If its some crazy reading, maybe the BIOS/MB couldn't read it right?

vilun

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2007
When I had CnQ disable the fan didn't spin at all...shouldn't it have just started to spin non-stop?

But before I do any more troubleshooting I just want to check something with you fellas. Will having my cpu fan going all the time be a bad idea? Or is it much like a case fan that goes non-stop? I'm just thinking that if it's working fine right now then whats the point in continuing to mess with it and screw something else up? I did find something on my mobo's website in terms of bios that unlocks some "Hidden System Fan Speed item" but I'm afraid to use this and throw everything else I have set up out of whack...I'm just not sure its worth the extra hassle...it isn't noisy at all...but I don't if the fan will wear out or something...

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The pins on the header are
Pin1 & 2 Fan Power
Pin3 RPM Sensor
Pin4 Pulse Width Modulation Fan Control

IMO go into BIOS to the "Hidden System Fan Speed item" and play with it.

I turn off all fan speed regulation. I say a cool CPU is a happy CPU. So leave it running all the time, assuming you don't mind the noise.