Question CPU fans fixed at 100% after PC waking up from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

yt.degamendeman

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Hi all, I have the persisting issue that my CPU cooler fans (Antec H1200 Pro AIO fans on an i7 7700K overclocked) will continuously run at max speed after the PC has woken up from sleep mode. On normal startup it follows the normal fan curve, but not after sleep. This is very annoying, because sleep mode is very convenient for me and I would use it a lot, if only my computer didn't sound like a jet engine every time it wakes up. It makes more noise than anyone would find convenient in a normal setting, and only playing very loud hardstyle music masks the noise. CPU temps are (you guessed it) very low, and it runs idle at a low frequency. ???help???

kerangovender

Commendable
Nov 26, 2017
Well you have an overclocked i7 so I'm guessing extra cooling is necessary as it has been running even on sleep mode. On startup most PCs follow that curve you mentioned (I also have that curve). You may want to get software that allows to control the fan speed but may result in higher CPU temperatures.

May 4, 2019
Assuming everything was working correctly before the PC slept, then it sounds like coming out of sleep something related to the fan controllers did not come back correctly. Could be temperature sensor or fan controller. When Windoze 10 sleeps it may also use some additional hardware power savings features like PCI/USB link turn off.

You'll notice the fans come on full speed right after boot until enough software and hardware is configured to control them. This sounds like a similar situation. Look in your advanced power settings menus for PCI and USB power saving configurations and see if they are goofy after sleep. Also make sure that all of the needed drivers are still correctly configured, and that your fan control software is still running.

yt.degamendeman

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Well you have an overclocked i7 so I'm guessing extra cooling is necessary as it has been running even on sleep mode.
I don't think that's the case here, I mean my cpu does not nescessarily need to be 26C at all, so there's no reason for the fans to be blowing that hard

You may want to get software that allows to control the fan speed but may result in higher CPU temperatures.
I defined my cpu fan curve in the bios integrated software (Smart Fan 5 from Gigabyte), could that be the problem in this situation? Do you think I should install software for this in windows? Thanks for the reply :)

Status
Not open for further replies.