cortyb

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I currently have an i9-9900k which is relatively good for music but it chokes at the highest sample rate and bit depth in my daw (32 bit/192 khz), and yes i'm well aware of "why would you need such high sample rate it's pointless" blah blah blah. Really I'm just looking for a solid answer or recommendation for a cpu capable of handling the highest sample rate and bit depth, I'm currently eyeing the i9-7980xe, but is there any confirmation this will do the job?

Last edited:

cortyb

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
I really don't see this upgrade helping. Your current rig should be more than sufficient.

What are the specs for the rest of your system and what apps are you using for your audio needs?
Heres all of it
Mobo-gigabyte aorus ultra
ram- g skill ripjaws 32 gb 3600 mhz
gpu-evga hybrid rtx 2080 ti
psu- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 T2, 80+ TITANIUM 1000W, Fully Modular
soundcard- creative blaster ae-5

apps- fl studio and studio one

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seems cores/threads offers an advantage for Intel, coupled with clock speeds according to that, and the 7980xe would fare even better with some OC against the 9900k. Although there's got to be another factor here since the gains OC shows for a 9700k and 9700k OC are none to minimal, so it's something in the differences between lga1151 and lga2066 that really allows the daw to use cpu abilities. What that test did show was the 9900k using 16Gb dual channel, but did not show if the XE's were using that 32Gb 4x8Gb in 2x dual or quad channel setup, so apart from double the memory, does the daw soak enough bandwidth to get good use from a quad channel vrs similar ram in dual channel.

Reactions: cortyb