CPU fried ? or just scared ?

G

Hello,
I just bought a new mb + cpu PIII 800Mhz + cooler. Seemed the cooler was cheap coz when I was installing the new system I got an error msg from the BIOS HW MONITOR:
--> Turned out my CPU had reached a temperature of 121 DEGREES CELSIUS !!!!
Turned out there was little or no contact between CPU and heatsink. I put a good clod of thermal paste on the processor and now my temperature rises to some 56 C (after about 20 min.) - system still boots but I haven't installed Windoze yet.

Would this error have permanently damaged my CPU ?? or can a PIII survive this kind of heat thing ???

Thanks for your advice !!

G

PIII got a thermal diode, that automatically switches them of, if the temperature gets too high. So theoretically no PIII-s can be fried by being exposed to a short "heat-wave", only long term overclocking can have some damaging effects on the chip. (And that only in at least 3 or 4 years, when the CPU is outdated anyway) So don't worry, the CPU should be fine.

G

It is possible, that the cpu has survived this toasty accident (PIII's have a thermal safety built in). But, as allways, you'll have to test it.

Grtz, Leywalker :)

Tormented

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Toast...Toast...Toast....
NAh.. just kidding the PIII will survive..

<b>-----------------------</b>
-<font color=red><b>R.K.</b></font color=red>

G

Whew! Your replies made my day..
So I'mo plug in the GTS Pro now and get that 'show' on the road ..
Big Thankx to everyone for the advice!
Peter.