[SOLVED] cpu getting 45-63c while idle

May 23, 2019
My CPU (i7 6700K) is 45-63c while idling, is that normal? I have not applied thermal paste yet since i have only recently build it in

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
There was no paste with that came with the CPU. And how do I check your questions? I'm very new to this.

was there no thermal paste on the CPU cooler itself? most times they have some pre installed. If there is absolutely none , well that would be your main issue id think, and you should for sure apply some paste unless you really want your CPU to fry

Reactions: TJ Hooker
May 23, 2019
was there no thermal paste on the CPU cooler itself? most times they have some pre installed. If there is absolutely none , well that would be your main issue id think, and you should for sure apply some paste unless you really want your CPU to fry
Thank you! Ordered some now!

May 23, 2019
What standard cooler? The k series chips do not include a cooler. So if you're using a factory Intel heat sink, that would explain your temps. While your idle is high, the temps you reported for gaming, aren't terrible. Certainly not good, but not bad.

What is the temp in the room with the pc?
My room is 22 degrees celsius

With your current temps, I'm going to assume there was paste preapplied to the cooler. If not your temps would be 100+ and your system would throttle and more than likely shutdown. If you are using the Intel cooler, than again temps are about where you would expect. It's a subpar cooler for a k series chips. Changing the paste will probably net you little to no improvement. I would honestly recommend buying a better cooler. Even something like a hyper 212(if it fits your case), would provide you much better temps.

Last edited:
May 23, 2019
With your current temps, I'm going to assume there was paste preapplied to the cooler. If not your temps would be 100+ and your system would throttle and more than likely shutdown. If you are using the Intel cooler, than again temps are about where you would expect. It's a subpar cooler for a k series chips. Changing the paste will probably net you little to no improvement. I would honestly recommend buying a better cooler. Even something like a hyper 213(if it fits your case), would provide you much better temps.
One offtopic question. I'm using MSI afterburner to measure it is this accurate

retroforlife

Reputable
Apr 19, 2017
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkz_9AQQ-g

clean both the heat sink and cpu with a dry cloth put a small pea in the middle of cpu and then install the heat sink job done . thermal paste has to be applied or there will be hot spots all over the cpu since the heat wont transfer properly since both surfaces of the cpu and heat sink are not completely smooth and air is a very poor conductor of heat

Reactions: DMAN999

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes of course not to be tried, I was making a point. But even dressing would provide better heat conductivity compared to nothing/air at least for a very short while.

There was this website back when that tried this actually. I'll post the link if I find it.

Edit: Here is the link.