[SOLVED] CPU Goes up to 4.6-4.9Ghz, then falls below clock speed (3.60Ghz) And never recovers.

Apr 17, 2022
Problem is in the title.

It happened while Idle. Right after i did a system scan w/ BitDefender (I know Windows is enough but im not the one paying for Bit)

Temps were fine when it hit 4.9Ghz

I havent messed with anything with the BIOS. All changes were made by MSI.

MSI AEGIS RS PRE-BUILT
Intel i7-11700K (3.60Ghz Base.
RTX 3070 *factory overclocked, with 95Mhz boost via GeForce Experience
Ballistix 8gb x2
Z590 PRO WIFI
MSI MAG Coreliquid 120R (CPU Cooling)
MSI MPG A750GF - 750W

Solution
This has been a bug for a while. It is likely MSI Center that accidentally sets the turbo power limits to 0. This kills Intel turbo boost and leaves your 11700K running at its base frequency, 3.60 GHz.

Try uninstalling any MSI software and see if that helps.

Next time your CPU gets stuck at 3.6 GHz, try running ThrottleStop 9.4.6

Press the TPL button and open up the Turbo Power Limits window. This will show what values both sets of turbo power limits are set to. Post a screenshot of that window.

RlB8v5L.png
It happened while Idle
If you are using the default Windows Balanced power plan, Intel CPUs are designed to slow down when idle. Did your computer not return to full speed after you put a load on it again?

Are you using the latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

Some MSI software is a little flaky. Do you have any MSI software controlling your computer?

You usually need to increase the turbo power limits in the bios if you are interested in sustained maximum performance. You can use HWiNFO to see what these power limits are presently set to.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Apr 17, 2022
Nope, its on High-Performance. Never goes back up, and after a while it freezes.
Not sure, its been working fine for a while, just started happening annd i really dont wanna screw around w/ the bios.
MSI Center for fan speeds.

Edit: Happened again, ran a small game and the Ghz went back up. Doesnt happen often though.

This has been a bug for a while. It is likely MSI Center that accidentally sets the turbo power limits to 0. This kills Intel turbo boost and leaves your 11700K running at its base frequency, 3.60 GHz.

Try uninstalling any MSI software and see if that helps.

Next time your CPU gets stuck at 3.6 GHz, try running ThrottleStop 9.4.6

Press the TPL button and open up the Turbo Power Limits window. This will show what values both sets of turbo power limits are set to. Post a screenshot of that window.

RlB8v5L.png

Last edited:
Solution