Question CPU + GPU liquid dual cooling

bu3abed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
Hello everyone,

I’m experiencing an issue with my PC's cooling system. The liquid inside the pipes is no longer flowing, and upon startup, I receive a warning that the "CPU temperature is too hot." Sometimes the system boots, and Windows opens, but the CPU temperature remains high, around 70-75°C.

I couldn't find a drainage pipe to replace the liquid, which hasn't been changed in years.

I took the PC to a repair shop, and the technician informed me that the pump is damaged. He quoted me $300 for the repair.

I suggested replacing the liquid cooling system entirely with a standard air cooler, but the technician advised that it would be even more expensive since my system uses a dual cooler for both the CPU and GPU. Additionally, I no longer have the original cooler that came with the GPU, so a separate GPU cooler would also need to be installed.

Would like to hear your input on the matter what should i do?

FqluCq7.jpeg

Thank you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That kind of looks like a D5 pump, they are rather expensive, $100 or so, so $300 for parts and labor isn't actually that bad for the service.

Without the GPU cooler, you will need to find one if you want to go back to air cooling. Or an AIO solution with an NZXT G12 bracket if you can still find one.

You could just buy a CPU cooler and a new GPU and call it a day. It would be more expensive, but would get rid of the water cooling entirely. 4060 Ti is roughly where a 2080 Ti compete. So an RTX 4070 at $500 or and RTX 4070 Super at $550 is an option.

bu3abed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2014
That kind of looks like a D5 pump, they are rather expensive, $100 or so, so $300 for parts and labor isn't actually that bad for the service.

Without the GPU cooler, you will need to find one if you want to go back to air cooling. Or an AIO solution with an NZXT G12 bracket if you can still find one.

You could just buy a CPU cooler and a new GPU and call it a day. It would be more expensive, but would get rid of the water cooling entirely. 4060 Ti is roughly where a 2080 Ti compete. So an RTX 4070 at $500 or and RTX 4070 Super at $550 is an option.

Thanks a lot for the advice! I hadn’t thought about upgrading, but now that you mention it, I actually like that idea. Getting a new CPU cooler and upgrading the GPU to something like the RTX 4070 or 4070 Super sounds like a smart move to get rid of the water cooling for good. It might be a bit pricier, but it seems like a much better long-term fix. Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts!