CPU?...GPU?...Please Help me.

abeezie602

Reputable
Oct 2, 2017
I have an HP 700-074 (got it March 2014).

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03787848

I do music production full on as my job but also a few video edits through Camtasia to upload to YouTube. Now one of my issues is when I try to edit a video from my phone (which I believe is 4k mp4) it starts to lag, choppy, freeze to the point where it crashes or I just give up. Is that a CPU or GPU issue that I could upgrade to fix that?
My last issue would be loading up virtual instruments in my DAW (FL Studio) faster and smoother. Some VSTs use more CPU but not to the p[/spoiler]oint where they crash but I feel I could upgrade to some a little more to fix that as well.
I have no idea what CPU or GPU is compatible with my PC. There are some many GTX 560, 960 with 4 pins and 6 pins and then I read that I got to make sure I have enough PSI and whatnot. I dont know what the hell most of this means.

So if somebody can look into my current PC specs and see what would be best for me without breaking my pockets. Im not trying to upgrade to a full high end gaming PC, just something to get me out of my situation right now.

SPECS:
-Intel Core i5 4430 (Haswell) 3.0 GHz Dual Core
-Motherboard
MS-7826 (Kaili)
12GB RAM
-Intel HD Graphics 4600 (GT2) integrated graphics
-Power Supply
Internal 460W (100V-240V)

Sorry if I did not post enough info or specs, I do not know what I am supposed to be looking for.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yso2avwmw4ochz7/HP%20700-074%20Performance%20Results%20-%20UserBenchmark.clipular.png?dl=0

Solution
That looks like a good price and yes the i7-4770k will drop straight in. I double checked the CPU's that can fir your motherboard here https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03748942

I was surprised that it can take the i7-4790 non K as well...Going from a dual core to quad core with 8 threads should make a decent difference especially with the clock speed at 3.9, with a bit of luck you could get that to 4.1Ghz / 4.2Ghz with a mild overclock...Good luck on the upgrade...
It's definitely the graphics you have there - you should plan to buy a discrete graphics card, although that is currently limited by your PSU.
You could aim for a GTX 1050 Ti or GTX 1060, but I'm worried your PSU is an old OEM that wouldn't have the capacity to sustain a GPU (not even sure it has PCIe pins to plug into the GPU).

What's your price range, as well?

Oh boy...You are on a old platform, the z87..You have 2 routes to go, 1 - upgrade, You could pick up a second hand i7-4770K or the non K 4770 - 4 core 8 threads CPU quiet cheap on Ebay, for production that would make a difference and would slot into your motherboard - This would bring 4 extra threads to bare witha higher clock. If the i7-4790K can fit, even better, but I thought tht only went into the Z97 chipset.. Any GPU would be a step up from what is currently in your system and a cheaper Radeon or Nvidia in the $100 to $150 range should be fine and not hurt tohe power requirements for your Power Supply..
2 - The beter route AMD Ryzen system..(prefect for productivity) but will be a ground up rebuild at around 600 US at the low end......Hopefully others can chime in and provide some better information than I have...

Camtasia is just slow anyway ,it doesn't support hardware rendering/encoding anyway so a GPU would be of no use whatsoever

Already been said , stick an i7 in there if you can find one at a good price second hand.

Having a single hard drive for storage , os & rendered videos is not helping either.

abeezie602

Reputable
Oct 2, 2017

Thank you for the info. So I actually found an i7-4770k 8mb cache 3.9 turbo processor on offerup for $140. Is this a good choice and is it compatible with my PC?

abeezie602

Reputable
Oct 2, 2017

Thanks for the info. I am planning on purchasing my first ever SSD which would a PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5” SATA III Internal off Amazon. I know 120GB is not much but I was planning to hold music instrument sample libraries which is maybe around 80GB at most and 23GB of drum sounds...so I think would be just about enough.

That looks like a good price and yes the i7-4770k will drop straight in. I double checked the CPU's that can fir your motherboard here https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03748942

I was surprised that it can take the i7-4790 non K as well...Going from a dual core to quad core with 8 threads should make a decent difference especially with the clock speed at 3.9, with a bit of luck you could get that to 4.1Ghz / 4.2Ghz with a mild overclock...Good luck on the upgrade...

Solution