Question CPU/GPU upgrade for smoother video editing?

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Hi everybody!

I was hoping someone could give me some advice on the best upgrade for my computer, to improve my video editing experience. I'm using Filmora 9 (which having looked, does seem to have lag/crashing problems anyway, but it was the most accessible to me)

I'm currently running an i5 2400, 8gb RAM and the onboard Intel HD Graphics 2000

My videos are 720p/30fps

Video editing is smooth to begin with, but the more cuts I begin with but the more cuts I make, the worse it gets (and the longer the original video, the worse it is) until eventually the program is virtually unusable

I'm wondering what would be the best short term thing I should upgrade? CPU or GPU?

I'm a little limited on space as my computer is a SFF case but the GPU I had been looking at was the GT 730 2gb (If that is the route you recommend I take)

Failing that is there any software you would recommend for my current/upgraded specs? I looked at the minimum requirements for Adobe Premiere 2019 and just laughed haha

Thanks for taking the time to look, and for any advice you may be able to give me :)

Filmora9 for Windows System Requirements
  • You may need to update your graphics drivers to run Filmora9. Please keep your computer's graphics drivers updated to get the best performance out of your hardware. Find out how »
  • Supported OS : Windows 7/Windows 8.1/Windows 10 ( 64 bit OS).
  • Processor : Intel i3 or better multicore processor, 2GHz or above.
    (Intel 6th Gen or newer CPU recommended for HD and 4K Videos).
  • RAM : 4 GB RAM (8GB required for HD and 4K videos).
  • Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 5000 or later; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 700 or later; AMD Radeon R5 or later.
    2 GB vRAM (4GB required for HD and 4K videos).
  • Disk : At least 10GB free hard-disk space for installation (SSD-Solid State Disk recommended for editing HD and 4K videos).
  • Internet : Internet connection is necessary for software registration and access to online services like Filmstocks.
edit:
forget what was written here :) A GT730 does provide nvenc as well :D

A GTX 750 or GTX750ti without power connector would be a bit better,
or GTX1050 (but eventually not compatible to your system)

I guess the GTX1060 won´t fit in the case and probably won´t work with the system you have. This would need a power supply with PCIe power connector.

Which prebuild computer brand and model are you using?

Last edited:

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
The prebuild, haha OK so here is the story! I've been playing games since the Sega Master System 2 and really wanted to have a go at the whole youtube/twitch thing. I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a system just incase I didn't enjoy it or it didn't take off (update: I love it, and it hasn't taken off haha)

So after a bit of research I decided that a Dell Optiplex 390 SFF would give me enough to get started at a low price (I paid £50 for it!)

Came as standard with the i5-2400, 4gb RAM and a 500gb HDD. I bought a second stick of RAM to take it to 8gb and that's how it's running now.

Using a Logitech c920 webcam, Blue Ice Snowball Mic and recording and streaming through OBS. Streaming I have absolutely zero problems with, or recording for that matter. Even no problems editing short videos. Recorded a 15 minute video last week which when edited came out at 12 minutes and it didn't lag/crash at all. It's when I record for 60 minutes plus and then edit that down to around 35 mins that I notice the problems, especially when i make more cuts/clips to the video

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Another thing I noticed was when the performance of Filmora is at its worst, Task Manager is showing Disk at near 100%

I was looking at getting an SSD anyway, but is that something I should look at soon, or stick to a CPU or GPU First?

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
I've been using speccy since I set the PC up and when editing videos it's been up at around 67-69 degrees.

I got an SSD from Amazon prime which is coming today...I may have a look at replacing the thermal compound while I'm fitting it. I've got a syringe of Gelid GC Extreme at home....I don't expect it to make much difference but can't hurt to try (at least in the short term)

Thanks all so much for your responses so far, this is an incredible community!

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Installed the SSD and the performance is noticeably better (as to be expected). Haven't had a chance to fully edit a video yet but I've had a quick look around and a small bit of editing and Filmora was definitely running smoother.

I've done a little bit more research and realise how limited I am by the motherboard. Its Dell's 0F6X5P board and from what I can gather, although the i7-3770k is technically the best LGA 1155 processor, I wont be able to use it with this board?

There seems to be a bit of a grey area over what processors will work with this board, does anyone know what would be the best possible CPU for my board may be?

Thanks Again!

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Thought I would post a little update having edited my first video since fitting the SSD...and what a difference!

The biggest problems I had with Filmora 9 were it going to full screen mode (as in, on top of the taskbar) and lagging out for ages with a loading icon on the mouse cursor, and it lagging/stopping responding if I pressed play after cutting the video. Can happily say I didn't have a single problem at all with either of these things tonight! It was completely smooth right the way through (and I was editing a 44 minute video!)

Rendering the final video took 23 minutes I assume is not great by today's standards, it's still the best I've had with that length of video

With tonights experience in mind I went ahead and ordered the GT 730 for a few reasons. If it's even a small increase on what was an enjoyable experience tonight I will be happy. The price was a factor (as a stop gap before getting an entire new system for 1080p/60fps and above next year). And the power too. Was really tempted by the GTX 1030 but that would need a higher wattage PSU which is DIFFICULT to find to fit the 390 sff case.

Hopefully this setup will tide me over until the new system...still not sure what to do about the CPU though 😂🙈

Rayzer88

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Kind of wishing I hadn't wasted £50 now 🙈

Rendered a 28 minute video with the CPU last night and it took 13 minutes. I've just opened exactly the same project and exported it with the new GPU fitted and it's been going 4 minutes with 39 remaining 😅