Question CPU high idle spikes, min-40, max-60, how can I resolve this ?

SebiOne

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
I have an Ryzen 2600 with a ASRock B450 PRO4 OC at 4ghz with 1.35v, cooling it with an close to stock cooler.
I have a Thermaltake Versa H26 with 1 fan on each side, front-in, top-in, back-out, all of them at full speed, there not that loud.
The story is that my cpu all the time is idle at around ~45°C in a game,
like metro exodus, the cpu jumps up to 70 ish while my gpu is also around that area.
My question is why is this happening, how can I stop it and how can I improve my cooling. (I will be getting an AIO this month)
MSI_Afterburner_6_2_2019_2_18_48_PM.png

What are your temps at stock? 1.35 is pretty high for 4ghz. I've my 1600x at 3.9 on 1.3v and get 4ghz with 1.375. Yours is a Ryzen 2 so I'd expect lower voltages for higher OC's. All chips are different of course, but maybe try get your voltage down. Are you sure it's stable at 4ghz/1.35. How have you been testing?

Idle temps are when your system is doing nothing for 20mins. Not while your in the lobby of a game. If thats the case, then the temps seem okay. Some games will push your CPu up to 70c too. BF 1/V, Metro too. Your temps are kinda normal.

When your system is truly idle, i'd expect temps to be low 30's. Gaming 45-70c, Stress testing about 80c.

Try run Prime 95, small ffts, see what temps you are getting. If they are over 80c, then in my mind your OC is a bit too aggressive. If you fail Prime then you know also that the OC is unstable.

SebiOne

Reputable
Jul 30, 2017
Apparently was just a thing of the moment, I am now surprised that i have a low of 31 and a high of 37.
And yes, my temps ware on true idle, I made this post because in R20 when I want to run it about 2 min after my pc crashes with no imput signal and I have to hard reset it. Maybe I need just to reduce my voltage and see if I can run it.
Thanks for a reply !

MSI_Afterburner_6_3_2019_4_16_26_PM.png

Ah, if you are running R20 and it crashes, it's highly likely (as I suggested) your OC is unstable. You should test it properly to ensure stability. Then you will be able to run R20 with no crashes.

What you need to do is find your max temp, per a given voltage at a specified clockspeed. How exactly are you stress testing your system? If you don't do it right you will have random crashes/shutdowns.

Run Prime95 like I mentioned above. This is used for voltage stability for CPU's. If your temps go over 80c back off the clockspeed and/or voltage, until you get it below 80c.

This is one of my favorite guides for OC a CPU so it's stable, and has repeatable results: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/cpu-overclocking-guide-and-tutorial-for-beginners.3347428/