Aug 14, 2024
Having some cpu package temp issues curious if I’m missing something.

Fresh startup. No programs running and the cpu is at idle 3% and sitting at 60-70c. I think that is too high but I could be wrong. I have clocked it down from the default 57x to 55x using the intel utility. When at 57x it idles closer to 90c.

I have fans at max speed always and pump at max speed.

I did a test today. I pulled the cpu block and cleaned off the thermal paste and put a fresh on it to see if that’s would resolve the issue. Sadly no change.

It is a custom build. And custom water loop.

Double radiator running 3 120’s each.
One rear exhaust.
Water goes from pump -> gpu -> cpu -> radiator -> radiator -> pump

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero
CPU - Intel Core i9-14900KF - Core i9 14th Gen 24-Core
Ram - 64gb ddr5 6400

CPU block - CORSAIR XC7 RGB ELITE LCD CPU Water Block

Hopefully I answered everything that might be asked.

Aug 14, 2024
Thank you.

So in the current setup.
pump - LIAN LI O11D Distro-Plate G1 Designed by EKWB with DDC 3.1 Pump LGA 1700

Double radiator both - Thermaltake C360, 27mm Thick 360mm Long, High-Density Fins, Copper Tubes Copper Radiator CL-W228-CU00BL-A

And all 7 fans are Corsair QL Series, Ql120 RGB, 120mm RGB LED Fan
3 on each radiator and 1 back exhaust.

For flow. 3 bottom fans pull through the radiator up. The top radiator pulls air up from in case to exhaust out. Final fan is the back fan that is set to exhaust.

To note my concern on the temps. This is my second build so my assumptions are based on my first build that would idle at 30c while this one as mentioned above idls at 60-70c.

Thank you.

So in the current setup.
pump - LIAN LI O11D Distro-Plate G1 Designed by EKWB with DDC 3.1 Pump LGA 1700

Double radiator both - Thermaltake C360, 27mm Thick 360mm Long, High-Density Fins, Copper Tubes Copper Radiator CL-W228-CU00BL-A

And all 7 fans are Corsair QL Series, Ql120 RGB, 120mm RGB LED Fan
3 on each radiator and 1 back exhaust.

For flow. 3 bottom fans pull through the radiator up. The top radiator pulls air up from in case to exhaust out. Final fan is the back fan that is set to exhaust.

To note my concern on the temps. This is my second build so my assumptions are based on my first build that would idle at 30c while this one as mentioned above idls at 60-70c.
Did you flash latest BIOS with last Intel microcode ?
That CPU is on endangered list from Intel, some damage may have already occurred.
Also forget about CPU temps on earlier generations, 90c+ is pretty well standard on top models nowadays. Idle temps are not a concern and could be lowered by running pump at 100%

Aug 14, 2024
Did you flash latest BIOS with last Intel microcode ?
That CPU is on endangered list from Intel, some damage may have already occurred.
Also forget about CPU temps on earlier generations, 90c+ is pretty well standard on top models nowadays. Idle temps are not a concern and could be lowered by running pump at 100%
Okay wow. Good to know on the temps for idle. I was thinking that was an underlining issue overall. I still have a heat issue. I currently have to have the case walls off with a large fan blowing in additional air constantly to game on the computer. If I close the case. Maybe 10 minutes in. The computer shuts down due to overheating. So something for sure isn’t working properly with heat dispersion.

I will check the bios again. I flashed it 2 weeks ago to the latest bios. I will check again on the bios for sure.

I do currently run pump and fans all at 100%.

I have had trouble trying to turn on xmp. Ram does support it. But if I enable it. Pc crashes constantly. So it’s currently disabled. Possibly right on the chip already damaged unless running xmp is a motherboard thing. Still learning the ins and outs of everything.

Okay wow. Good to know on the temps for idle. I was thinking that was an underlining issue overall. I still have a heat issue. I currently have to have the case walls off with a large fan blowing in additional air constantly to game on the computer. If I close the case. Maybe 10 minutes in. The computer shuts down due to overheating. So something for sure isn’t working properly with heat dispersion.

I will check the bios again. I flashed it 2 weeks ago to the latest bios. I will check again on the bios for sure.

I do currently run pump and fans all at 100%.

I have had trouble trying to turn on xmp. Ram does support it. But if I enable it. Pc crashes constantly. So it’s currently disabled. Possibly right on the chip already damaged unless running xmp is a motherboard thing. Still learning the ins and outs of everything.
New BIOS with fixed microcode came out only couple of days ago. That's one you MUST use.