CPU idle temp too high?

alexvincent2015

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Hello everyone.

I recently made a computer and got the 4690k with the Corsair H110 and I notice that my idle temps seem to definitely be high than usual. I am using AI Suite with fan xpert to use silent mode which may be the cuase of it a little bit but even in standard mode the idle temps are around 35-40 degrees and the AIDA64 load temps are around 60 degrees. It seems like the ambient temp is higher than it should be but the load temp is not bad. I'm not sure why my idle temps are so high? Should I even be worried since the temperatures never reach over 80 degrees anyways?

This is with the S340 case and the H110 fans as intake.

EDIT: I should also mention that my 4690k is overclocked to 4.6 GHz with a vcore at 1.26V
Thanks.

Solution
It depends on the ambient temps where your pc is located (ie room, office etc) and also on the case temps which airflow has to do with. Not sure how you've got your radiator set up, if it's in the top of your case exhausting air then it's being heated by air in the case. It shouldn't be affected as much if it's mounted at the front of the case drawing air directly from outside the case as an intake.

Silent mode could be causing it because of noise reduction leading to slightly higher idle temps. The good news is it appears to be holding well at load. For instance I'm using an air cooler and due to any number of things (ambient temps likely) my idle is currently 19-21c. Under load (prime 95, aida stress test, intel burn test) my max...
It depends on the ambient temps where your pc is located (ie room, office etc) and also on the case temps which airflow has to do with. Not sure how you've got your radiator set up, if it's in the top of your case exhausting air then it's being heated by air in the case. It shouldn't be affected as much if it's mounted at the front of the case drawing air directly from outside the case as an intake.

Silent mode could be causing it because of noise reduction leading to slightly higher idle temps. The good news is it appears to be holding well at load. For instance I'm using an air cooler and due to any number of things (ambient temps likely) my idle is currently 19-21c. Under load (prime 95, aida stress test, intel burn test) my max temps tend to hit around 68-69c. Your chip seems to be doing a bit better than mine, I can't hit 4.6 at 1.26, I'm having to go to 1.274 (tried 1.26 and it crashed).

Solution

alexvincent2015

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

It's running on the front as intake. I am now looking at more static pressure fans because H110 fans suck, rattle and not very good. I'll look at the SP140 fans.