Question CPU Idling on Max Frequency after Overclocking

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
Hello fellow PC Enthusiasts,

I have a problem on my Overclocking setup,
I boosted my RYZEN 3 3100 at 4.1 GHz and it can't get down at it's base clock of 3.6 GHz.
My Power Plan is already at the AMD Ryzen Balanced but it still can't go down at it's idle speed.
I used the AMD Ryzen Master Application and still didn't fix it as the same as overclocking it on the motherboard.

Any possible fixup on this kind of problem?

Thanks in Advance!

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 3 3100
ASRock X470 Gaming K4
Nvidia RTX 3060
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3600 MHz
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Corsair CX650m

CaptainCanoy

Reputable
Nov 4, 2020
ASRock X470 Gaming K4
BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

Corsair CX650m
How old is the PSU in your build?

Did you try clearing the CMOS?

Motherboard Version in P4.40, the latest one

PSU that I've bought is still under a year or I bought it on Late February

I just noticed now that the Reading in Ryzen Master on Peak Speed is saying that it's playing around 1000 MHz to 2500 MHz

Because I checked on it last time on Task Manager that it's stuck on 4.1 GHz,
and HWInfo64 on Core Clocks that it's stuck on 4.1 GHz too. But I saw that on Core Effective Clocks that it's playing low on Idle too.

Is it just bugged or reading error on both side?

Oct 23, 2022
Hello fellow PC Enthusiasts,

I have a problem on my Overclocking setup,
I boosted my RYZEN 3 3100 at 4.1 GHz and it can't get down at it's base clock of 3.6 GHz.
My Power Plan is already at the AMD Ryzen Balanced but it still can't go down at it's idle speed.
I used the AMD Ryzen Master Application and still didn't fix it as the same as overclocking it on the motherboard.

Any possible fixup on this kind of problem?

Thanks in Advance!

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 3 3100
ASRock X470 Gaming K4
Nvidia RTX 3060
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3600 MHz
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB
Corsair CX650m
It's completely normal. However you can change that by switching your turbo mode from fixed to adaptive. I personally keep my overclocked at a fixed value, so even it's on idle it is still at 5.1. Makes your system more stable. It doesn't mean that it's drawing more power while being idle than when it's not OCed.
If you are worried about it's longevity, then don't. It does not effect it. Only high temps do.