Cpu LOAD vs FREQUENCY/ VOLTAGE

Gabe666

Reputable
Jan 25, 2017
So, this is just a curiosity question, it's not going to help me or change what/how I'm doing at all. It's only to better understand this Topic.

I have my amd fx8370e cpu overclocked at 4.61ghz(turbo off, constant freq on all cores) at 1.424v.It is running pretty cool and stable (finally! 1.390v just wasn't cutting it) at max 49 degrees Celsius for cpu package and 50-51degrees on the socket on full load (prime95). And these are next to the gpu (max 62) the hottest temps in the pc. From the stock 3.3Ghz to this 4.6 ghz I noticed an 35-40% performance increase (e.g: final fantasy 15 benchmark) so it really helps my gtx 1070oc :)
All power-save features are disabled in the bios, so the cpu keeps the 4.6ghz an all 8 cores AND the voltage constant.The question is: when the cpu is idle (e.g on desktop not doing anything) or just browsing web (20% cpu load) the temps are much lower (25/35 degrees on package/socket). That's good, and I am happy but WHY IS THIS SO???? The cpu is still receiving 1.42v (considering vdroop it even receives more v in idle than on load) and it still is locked on 4.6ghz. Aren't frequency and voltage the determining factor of heat output?
Putting it another way:if I will always keep these nice temps will the lifespan of the chip decrease because of this massive 1.3 ghz overclock or not? Should I enable the cpu powersave features(frequency and voltage scaling) for the sake of the 50% of the time my pc is on but I am NOT playing games ?
I am planing to get a new system in the next 6-8months anyway, but I definitely don't want it dying on me sooner than that..(especially if I decide to push this baby to like 5ghz).
So, is constant high voltage/frequency on cpu bad?

Solution
Temps are lower as the Chip isnt working nearly as hard at a 20% load. Say the chip is 200w TDP when overclocked, that meant when running full out the cooling system will have to dissipate 200w of heat, but when its idle even at max clocks it may be only pulling 50w of power so the cooler will only need to dissipate 50w of heat.

In regards to that OC voltage I am not to familiar with the FX series and recommended voltages.

Think of it like this, walking on land on a flat surface is really easy, not a lot of effort. But decide to carry 100 Lbs of bricks will be alot harder and you will spend alot more energy doing it.
Temps are lower as the Chip isnt working nearly as hard at a 20% load. Say the chip is 200w TDP when overclocked, that meant when running full out the cooling system will have to dissipate 200w of heat, but when its idle even at max clocks it may be only pulling 50w of power so the cooler will only need to dissipate 50w of heat.

In regards to that OC voltage I am not to familiar with the FX series and recommended voltages.

Think of it like this, walking on land on a flat surface is really easy, not a lot of effort. But decide to carry 100 Lbs of bricks will be alot harder and you will spend alot more energy doing it.

Solution

Gabe666

Reputable
Jan 25, 2017

I totally forgot about the Amps the cpu pulls.(50 to 100 Amps).. :pt1cable:That was the variable i missed.:wahoo: