Question CPU model displayed incorrectly

Jun 22, 2024
Previously my CPU will always show up as Core 2 Duo T6600, but then I noticed that the model suddenly changed, from Core 2 Duo T6600 to Core 2 Duo T2504. Which is really weird since from what I looked up on Google, Core 2 Duo T2504 doesn't exist. I checked on the BIOS, HWinfo64, and ThrottleStop and all of them are displaying Core 2 Duo T2504 as my CPU

Another issue also appeared that caused my windows to BSOD whenever the CPU hits 2 GHz or above so I had to keep it at 1.98 GHz using ThrottleStop.
Does anyone have some explanation regarding this issue? 🙂

Jun 22, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your motherboard? Might want to also mention the BIOS version for said motherboard.
Hello,
I looked up HWinfo64 and CPU-Z, both showed my motherboard is TOSHIBA Portable PC. BIOS is Insyde H2O v1.40

I am using a laptop instead of a PC.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2024
Post a screenshot that includes CPU-Z and ThrottleStop.

The CPU-Z Specification box shows the name and model number of the CPU. This information is programmed into the CPU on the assembly line. Pretty rare for the CPU spec info to become scrambled after it was shipped by Intel.
Alright, here is a screenshot of CPU-Z and ThrottleStop

The CPU model hasn't changed before (still T6600) until recently when I encountered frequent BSOD and decided to check the BIOS and discovered the CPU model has changed to T2504.

CPU-Z and ThrottleStop
Both programs run the CPUID command which reads data directly from the CPU. I assume that Intel uses some sort of EPROM that they are able to program on the assembly line with the correct model number. The exact data programmed into the CPU is displayed in the CPU-Z Specification box.

5PCeTl3.png

ThrottleStop and the BIOS use the same CPUID command and read the same data from the CPU. ThrottleStop trims off some unimportant stuff like the GHz number at the end.

If CPU-Z finds something unusual, it will look at various other attributes including the Family and Model number and will take a wild guess at what processor this really is. Its best guess is always shown at the top in the Name box of CPU-Z. For the majority of retail processors, the Name box information and the Specification box information usually match.

The CPU model hasn't changed
I have never heard of a situation before where the Specification data changes after some blue screens. There is no logical explanation why this happened. Intel's Engineering Sample processors will always show (ES) in the Specification box so it does not appear to be one of them.

I did a quick Google search thinking that this might be a processor that was once used in a Mac but I could not find anything. Perhaps you are the new owner of the one and only T2504. Too bad it is not worth anything more than any other Core 2 Duo processor. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: cliverichardd
Jun 22, 2024
Hmmm, so the explanation all points to the CPU having issues, where it's supposed to be T6600 (or whatever the correct one is..) but identified as a nonexistent CPU model.

Perhaps you are the new owner of the one and only T2504. Too bad it is not worth anything more than any other Core 2 Duo processor. Thanks for sharing.
Hahah, thank you too for answering and explaining it here. Have a nice day.

Last edited:
If the BIOS doesn't know what it is, then it can't apply the correct errata fixes from the microcode and that may explain the BSODs. It's doubtful that just T6670 code on T6600 would be a problem as both are R0, but you never know as the former is at least a half year newer and you know it has an extra feature:
l24ncj.png

So when are you going to upgrade to a T9500 which is the fastest 800MHz FSB chip for that socket? The 3x as much cache is a bigger upgrade than the clockspeed increase and quite noticeable.

Reactions: cliverichardd
Jun 22, 2024
If the BIOS doesn't know what it is, then it can't apply the correct errata fixes from the microcode and that may explain the BSODs. It's doubtful that just T6670 code on T6600 would be a problem as both are R0, but you never know as the former is at least a half year newer and you know it has an extra feature:
l24ncj.png

So when are you going to upgrade to a T9500 which is the fastest 800MHz FSB chip for that socket? The 3x as much cache is a bigger upgrade than the clockspeed increase and quite noticeable.
Oh thank you for the explanation there

I will consider upgrading the CPU since this one can no longer perform tasks as it used to be, I can't even install linux because of it..(idk if that's really the CPU because the error code did mention a fault pointing to the CPU)