Question Cpu only showing 6 threads and not 12 and performance is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorenzo_campolongo

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
My i7-5930k has always seemed to have trouble with it's performance but now when I went to go check it's specs it seems to only have 6 threads instead of the normal 12? Performance also seems to have taken a hit and usage seems higher than normal where my problem before was that it was always too low (20% usage-ish) I need some serious help as I have been trying to fix this cpu for years now and with this new issue I'm worried things has gotten much worse.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Click on the search Icon, then type "msconfig" and press Enter. Click on the "Boot" tab, then "Advanced Options". In the box for "Number of processors" there's probably a check mark with the number "6" on the line below. Change it to "1" then uncheck the box and click OK, then another OK. Reboot. You should now have 12 threads.

lorenzo_campolongo

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
Click on the search Icon, then type "msconfig" and press Enter. Click on the "Boot" tab, then "Advanced Options". In the box for "Number of processors" there's probably a check mark with the number "6" on the line below. Change it to "1" then uncheck the box and click OK, then another OK. Reboot. You should now have 12 threads.
Welp now everything is running at a snails pace and for some reason I only have 1 as an option now. HELP! View: https://i.imgur.com/SHWA4KO.png

lorenzo_campolongo

Prominent
Jul 26, 2018
Well never mind, I selected the option to use the original boot configuration and all seems to be fine. Performance will still likely be bad as ever but at least I have my 12 cores back.

Status
Not open for further replies.