Question CPU over temperature error help?

Dec 21, 2020
Hello all,

Recently after playing the new Cyberpunk 2077 game my PC's CPU has started to overheat. It regularly goes above 90 degrees celsius and I have to shut it down regularly to allow it to cool.

PC Specs for reference are;

Geforce GTX 1080ti
Intel i7-7700k
16gb DDR4 2400mhz memory
iD-Cooling FrostFlow 240mm AIO Water Cooler
750W Aerocool Modular 80+ Certified MOD XT
ASUS Prime Z270-P Motherboard

I clean the PC regularly, only with compressed air so don't believe I have knocked the CPU to cause this issue. It is also water cooled so I'm not sure either that it can be an issue on that side.

It is in a well ventilated area with fans at the bottom, rear and top of the case. Recently when playing a game I noticed in task manager that the GPU was running between 0-20% usage, could it be an issue with my power supply bottlenecking the GPU causing the CPU to work overtime?

Many Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Dec 21, 2020
No.

Are you sure that your watercooler fans AND pump are working? Cyberpunk 2077 is extremely demanding on CPUs. Are you overclocking/overvolting your CPU? If yes, remove the overclock/overvolt and see how it goes. Ideally, you want to keep your CPU at or below 80C.

Not using any overclocking features on my PC. What's the best way of checking if the fans and pump are working correctly?

Thanks

ilayg6

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016
The 7700K is a hot CPU,if you are playing cyberpunk with a 1080Ti i would assume you are probably maxing out the cpu to 100%.
So because of that most likely its going to get really hot.
If i were you i would check the voltages,you said you are not overclocked so make sure your core voltage is not set to auto and instead manually adjust it.
Start with 1.2V and try to go down and see what is the least amount of “Core Voltage” you can get away with and still be stable at 4.5Ghz.
After you adjust the “Core Voltage” the next important voltage to adjust is “PLL OC”
Its usually set to 1.2V,try to get to get it down to 1.12V.after that you should see a pretty significant temperature drop.
If you tried those 2 things and your temperature is still in the overheating area 85C and above,i’m afraid you are going to have to delid your CPU...
Please Update me if you tried this and what your results are. :)

TRENDING THREADS