CPU overheat while running prime95

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I have Intel core2quad q6600 2.4 CPU which i brought 3 years ago. It ran fine 37C-40C while ideal and 58C-63C while play games or CPU at full load.

But now CPU temperature rise over 75C while gaming. And also I found a software called prime95 and ran it.
Then after 7 or 8 minutes is rises over 80C so i stopped prime95.(I used core temp to measure, and speed fan gives 10C different to that)

After that remove CPU fan and clean it. But nothing is changed. I am sure i fix CPU correctly and reapplied thermal compound also. So what's wrong please help :( :(

And also I have little worry about my CPU fan, It is same old which is came with stock. And I set CPU fan speed to full in bios, But I get 2500rpm-2900rpm which is shown in Speed Fan software.Is this normal or I have to change CPU fan?

Please help... :( :( :(

Solution
for VGA only if the screen does not appear Artifax replace thermal paste and clean the heatsink .

for PSU, I've never heard of it .. ? and this characteristic feature of the PSU will be damaged, if pressing the power button on the main computer is not immediately long time turn on PC, when PC turn on then you will hear a noise from the PSU
hmm ... if only there is a good PSU you can replace it , just my opinion.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

OK thank you henydiah, Now I understand, I ran my computer almost 3 years like this, I had done a big mistake by not giving enough power to CPU and blame my CPU overheat.

OK I think the best idea is check my PSU as soon as possible and buy a 4pin to 8pin adapter.
Thank you my friend :) :)

the 8 pin atx is just for overclocking stability. if you dont oc or you dont oc past the tdp of the cpu you wont need the other 4 pins...
just keep in mind that each 4 pin will supply another 75 watts.
with a potential of 225wats with the 20-24 pin and an 8pin atx... saying as most cpus are rated at less than 140 watts the extra 4 just isnt needed.
if your cpu is 95 watts or less you can forget about the other 4 alltogether.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

OK, now you leave me no choice but to buy new PSU. :( :(

Do you think even if I shouldn't check my PSU that whether it has actual 500W or not and simply throw it to garbage and buy new one?

OK, If that is my last option then I'll do it, :( :(
Thank you friend.

isuru003

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

20072011236.jpg

As you ask from your one of previous post, I just checked my PSU with multimeter, I took my PSU to 3 repairing centers where electric professional work,
But they said that they can't check actual 500W of PSU, they said they can check its Voltages, So I asked them check Voltages and they said Voltages are fine and match with PSU sticker .

So unfortunately I can't check whether my PSU giving actual 500W or not but all other information about Voltages are correct,

Now I have to make decision to buy new PSU according to lilotimz's suggestion. :( :(

If you any different idea please tell me, :sarcastic:

Status
Not open for further replies.