Question CPU overheating after Installation of new SSD

Nov 5, 2023
Hey,
so i recently got my 1TB HDD and 128 GB SSD replaced trough a 1TB SSD, because my new battery wouldn't fit otherwise. I experienced some problems since then, like that the fan is constantly working, the CPU temperature is reaching 100 °C regularly even when i'm just working with excel. Scrolling trough an Excel sheet is not going smoothly as well.
I should mention that a friend of mine changed all of that.
Here are my
UserBenchmarks:
CPU: Intel Core i5-9300H - 76.4%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 255.8%
RAM: Unknown HMA851S6JJR6N-VK 2x4GB - 62.6%
MBD: Dell G7 7790
Also on top of the Page it says, GPU not found?!

Sorry english is not my first language, but i would really appreciate your help :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
because my new battery wouldn't fit otherwise.
If you'd use official, certified battery, it would fit fine. Using cheap 3rd party batteries can cause all sorts of issues.

the CPU temperature is reaching 100 °C regularly
Looks like CPU cooling assembly isn't mounted correctly. Either your friend reinstalled it wrong, or the new beefy battery pushes the cooling assembly away from CPU, thus making CPU to cook itself.

I should mention that a friend of mine changed all of that.
Contact your friend to fix your issue, since they screwed something up.

Reactions: PEnns
Nov 5, 2023
If you'd use official, certified battery, it would fit fine. Using cheap 3rd party batteries can cause all sorts of issues.

Looks like CPU cooling assembly isn't mounted correctly. Either your friend reinstalled it wrong, or the new beefy battery pushes the cooling assembly away from CPU, thus making CPU to cook itself.

Contact your friend to fix your issue, since they screwed something up.
Hey, thanks for answering.

I actually used an official battery. It's just that Dell is offering 2 of them, one being so big, that you have to remove the HDD and the SSD alone wouldn't have enough GB, so he changed it. But both are for my laptop according to dell's website.

I'm a little confused, if the cooling assembly is mounted incorrectly, shouldn't it be more quiet? He told me he didn't touch it... :/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm a little confused, if the cooling assembly is mounted incorrectly, shouldn't it be more quiet?
Fan inside laptop spins according to CPU temp. If cooling assembly isn't mounted right, CPU thermal throttles and fan goes full bore, in hopes to cool the overheating CPU. Hence more noise, not less.

He told me he didn't touch it... :/
Evidence states otherwise.

In any event, further action would be disassembly of CPU cooler assembly, replacing all and every thermal pads/paste under it and reassembling it correctly.

Nov 5, 2023
Fan inside laptop spins according to CPU temp. If cooling assembly isn't mounted right, CPU thermal throttles and fan goes full bore, in hopes to cool the overheating CPU. Hence more noise, not less.

Evidence states otherwise.

In any event, further action would be disassembly of CPU cooler assembly, replacing all and every thermal pads/paste under it and reassembling it correctly.
Thanks a lot! We will try it :)
And regarding the problem, that Userbenchmarks did not recognice any GPU, should i ignore that for now? I checked my device manager and it's showing there with the latest updates installed already.

Nov 5, 2023
Thanks that helped a lot. It detected both GPU but put the NVDIA one on GPU #1 and the intel UHD at #0.
So we changed the preffered GPU in the NVIDIA Control Panel to NVIDIA and i feel like it solved the problem. My laptop is quiet again, using no fans at all while only being softly warm.
So thanks again for bearing with me. :D

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My laptop is quiet again, using no fans at all while only being softly warm.
This also explains why your CPU reached 100C easily.

iGPU is inside the CPU and if iGPU is primary (used more than dedicated GPU) it will heat up the entire CPU packet - hence easy 100C. Laptops, for the most part, are designed to use dedicated GPU, so that the workload (and in turn, thermal load) on CPU is less. Still, many laptops enable you to use iGPU alongside dedicated GPU. Some are even configured such, where web browsing/office work is handled by iGPU, while gaming/render is handled by dedicated GPU.

Desktop PCs, in the other hand, automatically disable the iGPU once dedicated GPU is detected in the system. Still, user can enable iGPU and use both at the same time, but this is uncommon. Of course, that is when the CPU you have, has iGPU to begin with.