Question FPS throttling after playing games for 5-10 mins

rishav mitra

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Hey Guys,
I am writing this after facing issue with my DELL G15 5520 laptop for some time now.
My Laptop configuration is:
CPU-12th GEN Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H
GPU- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop
RAM - 16 GB

Its been like 7-8 months that I bought this laptop, and it was giving amazing performance despite some minor issue like the laptop going to sleep and not waking up after that, but i think it is a software related issue.
My main problem is that for a month now, whenever I play games like God of war, CS2, the FPS is good in the beginning but after 30-40 mins of gaming the FPS drop down to half and the game start stuttering. And recently the the time has come down to 5-10 mins of gaming.
The CPU temperature goes up to maximum 85 degree Celsius and the GPU to a maximum of 75 degree Celsius. Also where I am staring the room temperature goes to 42 degree celsius, I don't know if temperature is the problem.
I have tried disabling Intel Turbo boost to run the CPU at base clock, but still the problem persists.
I really need to fix this problem, Kindly help out a fellow gamer.

Hey there,

Yes, sounds to me like heat and throttling are the issue. Have you cleaned out the vents on the chassis? After a few months (even less) the intake vents and sometimes the exhaust can get clogged with dust and goop. A good clean with compressed air might help. You would have better results with this, if you take the back of the laptop off.

It's possible the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU has worn. Unlikely though. Worth considering to do when it gets to last few options.

What power plan are you using? Dop you use Dell software to manage processor states and usage etc?

Are all system drivers, bios, GPU drivers up to date?

If you raise the rear of the laptop up a few inches, and prop it on a book, do the temps drop? Could be airflow.

Problems after a time smacks of a heat issue.
I hear about this on many laptops.
What might have changed since a month ago when all was well?

42c!! ouch, that is 107F.
A laptop cooler getting 42c. air is not going to cool well.
If you have air conditioning, use it.
If you do not, at least open a window to let hot air out of the room.
Check to see that your laptop fans are working and that they are not clogged.
It is unlikely that repasting the cooler will do any good at all, and you risk making things worse if done inexpertly.

The processor checks it's own temperature and will downclock if it detects a dangerous temperature. That for Intel is 100c. Then, the processor runs slower and generates less heat.
Running slower leads to stuttering.

What can you do?

First, do not select the high performance windows power profile.
Used a balanced plan instead.
Set the maximum cpu performance level to less than 100%. Try 80%

rishav mitra

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Thank you for the quick reply.
I checked without opening the back panel, and I see a lot of goop on the heat sink. I tried opening it but it seems like I am too scared to pry open the panel. You see its still in warranty. Any way I could clean it without opening the panel??
Yes, sounds to me like heat and throttling are the issue. Have you cleaned out the vents on the chassis? After a few months (even less) the intake vents and sometimes the exhaust can get clogged with dust and goop. A good clean with compressed air might help. You would have better results with this, if you take the back of the laptop off.

It's possible the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU has worn. Unlikely though. Worth considering to do when it gets to last few options.

What power plan are you using? Dop you use Dell software to manage processor states and usage etc?

Are all system drivers, bios, GPU drivers up to date?

If you raise the rear of the laptop up a few inches, and prop it on a book, do the temps drop? Could be airflow.

rishav mitra

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2015
Thank you for the reply.
I tried these settings, I also went in the bios and disabled the Intel boost, still no change
Problems after a time smacks of a heat issue.
I hear about this on many laptops.
What might have changed since a month ago when all was well?

42c!! ouch, that is 107F.
A laptop cooler getting 42c. air is not going to cool well.
If you have air conditioning, use it.
If you do not, at least open a window to let hot air out of the room.
Check to see that your laptop fans are working and that they are not clogged.
It is unlikely that repasting the cooler will do any good at all, and you risk making things worse if done inexpertly.

The processor checks it's own temperature and will downclock if it detects a dangerous temperature. That for Intel is 100c. Then, the processor runs slower and generates less heat.
Running slower leads to stuttering.

What can you do?

First, do not select the high performance windows power profile.
Used a balanced plan instead.
Set the maximum cpu performance level to less than 100%. Try 80%
dia

May 27, 2024
Have you a nVidia graphic card ? I have some problem for 2 weeks right now, with FPS which drops after a certain amount of time (generally 20 min for my favorite game, which is a low ressources demanding game). I'm planning to install an older version of nVidia drivers.