[SOLVED] CPU Overheating after reapplying thermal paste ?

Feb 17, 2021
Hi all,

I recently got new fans (Noctuas) for my PC to keep it a bit quieter. After installing the new fans, I wanted to check how the PC performed under a stress test - I used Aida64.

After about 5 minutes, the throttling line turned red (although it remained at 0%). The CPU temps were around 85, but maxed out around 92.

Unhappy with this, I decided to re-seat my CPU with some new Kryonaut Grizzly thermal paste. I didn't have any alcoholic wipes, so I used a dry paper towel to remove the old paste.

After re-applying (one small blob in the middle of the CPU), I re-ran the stress test. Unfortunately, now the throttling rises to about 5% almost immediately - so I stop the test after a few seconds. The CPU temperatures were rising to 100.

I tried re-applying the paste again, this time using the 5 blob method, but I had the same problem.

Any tips?

Solution
OK, I feel a fool - It was the spacers between the motherboard and the heatsink. When I had taken the heatsink off to reapply the paste, the spacers had got loose. I tightened them up, then screwed the heatsink back on, and we're running cooler than ever 🆒🆒🆒

Leaving this up in case some other poor sod makes the same mistake I did >_<
Feb 17, 2021
Ah sorry - I have a i9 9900K CPU, a maximus hero xi motherboard, and a corsair h100i aio cooler.

The noctua fans are both exhaust fans on the case. The h100i fans are intake from the front, then through the radiator (as recommended by this corsair video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPlGUwbJT0

Feeling stressed out - anxious that I have damaged the CPU and that's why it's overheating... and it was so expensive...!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021
OK, I feel a fool - It was the spacers between the motherboard and the heatsink. When I had taken the heatsink off to reapply the paste, the spacers had got loose. I tightened them up, then screwed the heatsink back on, and we're running cooler than ever 🆒🆒🆒

Leaving this up in case some other poor sod makes the same mistake I did >_<

Solution