Question CPU overheating after restart, stays high even when idle

Jul 9, 2023
Hi,
I am using a HP Pavilion Gaming laptop with: 16GB RAM, Intel Core i7-10750H 2.60GHz and a nVidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q graphics card.

I have this issue where my CPU is staying at high temperatures at all times and my fans are non-stop working, this happened after I restarted my laptop. Now I have had this problem a while a goo too, but once my screen just showed a windows notification about a force restart(message was too fast, couldn't read it). After that force restart my laptop became much quiter, I was running games like WoW and Hearthstone at the same time and my CPU was comfortably staying at ~75°C.
Now I had to restart my laptop due to a driver installation and after the restart it started overheating again. Immediately after the start the fans just ramp up and my cpu stays at around ~90 at all times, CPU Utilization stays at 1-5% while temp is 90°C. The laptop is freshly cleaned and with new termal paste. The pc guy also did a health check and said that everything inside is just fine.

Everything was completely fine 30 minutes ago and after the restart the cpu temps just wont go lower. I assume that it must be some process that is somehow doing that .

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2023
The 1st picture is usually how the CPU Utilization stays while CPU is at high temperatures
The 2nd picture is when it peaks at 100°C

I am sorry, I cannot upload pictures cause it detects them as spam
Picutre1Picture 2

Edit: I have disabled the Windows Update service from services.msc. Judging by the Windows Update process being at the top in the 2nd Task Manager could that be the cause of the issue?

Jul 9, 2023
The pictures are from my task manager and the processes are sorted from highest to lowest.

There is this local shop that cleans and does my thermal paste regularly. I do not believe that this is the issue.

Was laptop having issues before and is that why you had computer guy work on it. Often overlooked when doing a laptop cleanout is no ones disassembles the thin silver metal fan back plate and the black tape that seals it. Behind it is the heatsink where the fan blows through it to exhaust heat out of machine. Complete clogged hair dust wall. It's hard to see unless you take apart.

Jul 9, 2023
I do not have a core that is at 100%, you can see in the picture and and in my post I said that my CPU Utilization stays at around 1-5%(they are also all around the same temperature). My laptop is clean, this is not a thermal paste, fan or dust issue. I was literally running WoW, Hearthstone, 10 Chrome tabs, a music player and discord and my CPU temperatures were staying comfortably at ~70°C. I simply restarted the laptop and the now the temperatures are staying at ~90°C without doing anyhing at all.

TRENDING THREADS