[SOLVED] CPU overheating error ~70°C

Mar 14, 2021
OK, the story is like this:

Last night, my 4 year-old windows pc got a "whea uncorrectable error" bluescreen.
And I restarted my pc and it said "cpu over temperature error".
So, I took off the cooler (120mm liquid cooler & i7-8700k) and noticed that the grease was dried and thus I bought and applied new grease on it.

After that, I still sometimes got "cpu over temperature error" while booting (no bluescreen up till now though).
However, when I entered the BIOS immediately after that error and BIOS said that the CPU is only ~70°C...
AND WHY WAS THERE STILL CPU OVER TEMPERATURE ERROR (sometimes)?
It really confused me.

------------------------------

BTW: I didn't check the cpu temperature before last night, but it is 70°C~80°C for now (not gaming), if I can get into the OS without "cpu over temperature error".

Solution
BTW: my current thing is Corsair H60 120mm, is ENERMAX LIQMAXIII 120mm better than this?
No. Those 2 are more or less the same, just a different name.
Also, I wouldn't recommend any Enermax hybrids after that mess with their Liqtech products.

Corsair's H80 and Arctic's Liquid Freezer II 120 are exceptions among all the other 'same old' 120mm models.
If you can fit a tower air cooler in that chassis, I believe that would be better for you in the long run, but if you HAVE to have another hybrid, then prioritize trying to acquire an H80 or LF II 120.
Mar 14, 2021
70-80c for light use? is the cooler working?

One of the pipe is cold and another one is hot at first. After some time, they both came to similar temperature levels.
Both of them are vibrating and the fan is also working.
The 120mm liquid cooler is also 4-year-old though... I'm not sure whether I should buy a new one...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2021
It's not working. You shouldn't be able to identify such a drastic difference in temperature between the tubes of a properly working unit.
Replace it.
4 years is a common run for these things.

I'm sorry o_O. I tried again just now and their temperature do show some similarity.
(When I posted this thread, I have just launched my pc.)
Maybe even if when such drastic difference occurred only when I have just launched the pc, it still means that the cooler is not working properly?

And, thank you for your answer.

Mar 14, 2021
Still...
Is the radiator mounted at the top(horizontally)?
The rear(vertically)? Tubes entering the radiator at the top, or at the bottom?

Just a little more info, and this can be wrapped up.

it is like:

halAZPr.jpeg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so it's mounted at the rear(vertically), and tubes are down...

Pump is either dead or clogged.
You did mention that there 'vibrations', but you hadn't clarified whether that was from the pump or the fans.
Either way, there's not much more you can do here when it involves the pump; the vast majority of these units aren't meant to be serviced.
Order a new cooler and replace it.

Whether you want to go air or with another hybrid cooler is up to you though.
If you do decide to go air, find out how much clearance is available between the top of the cpu and the place where the side panel would be if it were closed.

Mar 14, 2021
Ok, so it's mounted at the rear(vertically), and tubes are down...

Pump is either dead or clogged.
You did mention that there 'vibrations', but you hadn't clarified whether that was from the pump or the fans.
Either way, there's not much more you can do here when it involves the pump; the vast majority of these units aren't meant to be serviced.
Order a new cooler and replace it.

Whether you want to go air or with another hybrid cooler is up to you though.
If you do decide to go air, find out how much clearance is available between the top of the cpu and the place where the side panel would be if it were closed.

Thank you so much for your help!
BTW:
  1. vibration is referring to the tube, but the amplitude is very, very tiny.
  2. my current thing is Corsair H60 120mm, is ENERMAX LIQMAXIII 120mm better than this?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
BTW: my current thing is Corsair H60 120mm, is ENERMAX LIQMAXIII 120mm better than this?
Also, I wouldn't recommend any Enermax hybrids after that mess with their Liqtech products.

Corsair's H80 and Arctic's Liquid Freezer II 120 are exceptions among all the other 'same old' 120mm models.
If you can fit a tower air cooler in that chassis, I believe that would be better for you in the long run, but if you HAVE to have another hybrid, then prioritize trying to acquire an H80 or LF II 120.

Solution
Mar 14, 2021

It's Asus Prime Z370P with Nvidia 1080Ti on one side. Not sure whether it can fit...

TRENDING THREADS