Question CPU overheating from nowhere and without apparent reason.

fatherofcharlie

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Greetings guys,

Today I came home to all my fans going jet-engine-ape-xxxx, nothing heavy running, just the usual stuff open, so kinda weird and no clue how long they've done it for. Rebooted and was greeted with a CPU overheating error and could only enter BIOS. Turned it off and let it cool down. But now I can't start it without it running up to 80-85˚, and it does that even when only idle in BIOS.

i7-5820k 3.3Ghz, no OC.
Asus X99-A
Corsair H60i

Pump is connected to CPU OPT and radiator fans to CPU FAN, and all looks fine to me but is apparently not.

D0nKi2f.jpg

This have worked just fine ever since I put it together, and without any changes to anything this started happening today.

Some thoughts and speculation...

- Don't think its the pump, it is apparently running, and it is cooling as I can feel a considerable different in temperature on the tubing coming from the CPU compare to going to it.

- Can it be the thermal paste? But if so, would that have degraded over time and temperature slowly rising with it? Not from normal to this over a day?

Any thoughts and inputs are more then welcome.

Thanks!

/A

<MODERATOR EDIT>

Tom's is a family friendly website.

Profanity is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN and is a BANNING OFFESNSE !

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE !

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's the paste because it happened so fast.
I think perhaps the cooler shifted....or popped loose or something like this.
I know that some of those cooler mounting "screws" (sometimes they aren't really screws....maybe fasteners is a better word) are pretty crappy sometimes.
I would check to see how snug the cooler is.

Reactions: fatherofcharlie

fatherofcharlie

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Thanks for the reply!

Already checked the cooler block, sat on pretty tight, although (just tried and) could tighten 2 of the "screws" a bit, nothing major thought, and no considerable difference in "tightens".

But as it came over the day, and computer hasn't moved or been opened recently, you think that the screws have un-tightened a bit (over the years) would cause this?

Thanks for the reply!

Already checked the cooler block, sat on pretty tight, although (just tried and) could tighten 2 of the "screws" a bit, nothing major thought, and no considerable difference in "tightens".

But as it came over the day, and computer hasn't moved or been opened recently, you think that the screws have un-tightened a bit (over the years) would cause this?
I think it's possible.
I've also seen where coolers were never install right to begin with and they "pop" loose.