Question CPU overheating on bootup. Not done before?

Mar 21, 2020
I upgraded 3 weeks ago from i5-6400 to i7-6700 CPU's. I didn't need to upgrade bios and I put on only a small amount of thermal paste (as advised by a technician who helped me through the process).

For the last 2 weeks I've been using the desktop to play games on ultra including GTAv, Bo3, Watch dogs 1 and 2, CSGo, and XPlane 11. All these games my pc has been running smoothly on my 144hz monitor at around 60-100fps.

Today I moved down to my parents house and upon starting my PC was lagging on discord. I decided to reboot and it overheated on startup. Not done before in the last 2 weeks and the fans were just cleared of the dust.... Not sure what to do. Any responses are appreciated.

Mar 21, 2020
My motherboard was at 15 degrees celcis, and my CPU sitting at about 89degrees, pushing 92 in BIOS menu

Althought just before rebooting my CPU was happy at 44 degrees.

Apr 27, 2020
Even I have an i7- 6700 HQ. I used to have overheating issues but i fixed it

Step 1 = Change thermal paste
Step 2 = Clean laptop for dust
Step 3 = Rest your pc and leave nothing
Step 4 = When done resetting go to MSConfig and boot = advanced options = number of processors and set it to 8.
Step 5 = go in Msconfig = services and click hide all Microsoft services and click disable all*.
Step 6 = Install intel xtu and set core-voltage to -145mv
Step 7 = Go in bios and reset bios default and click ok
Step 8 = Disable C1E in bios (keep speedshift and turbo boost enabled!!)
Step 9 = Go in xtu and set turbo boost time window to the max
Step 10 = In xtu disable turbo boost short power max enable
Step 11 = Set Turbo boost power max to 60W
*Done there you go any further issue ??