Question CPU Overheating Randomly?!

jasonbrownlee2003

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
Hi, recently upgraded my pc, But now my cpu is overheating randomly? and only started today?

I upgraded from a GTX 1060 6GB, 128 SSD, 1TB HDD
to
RTX 2070 super, 512GB M.2, 2TB HDDd

with this upgrade i have around 50watts spare at full capacity, but for some reason my cpu now idles at 60 degrees, and 70+ whilst gaming.

before it would be around 30/35 and 60 max whilst gaming...
Any idea why?
my cpu also randomly dips down to 40 degrees.

Also, with HWINFO it shows my pump is spinning yet my radiator seems to be cold, compared to what it would be before, so idk if my pump is broke and shows its spinning or something i really dont know.

HELP ASAP PLEASE!

alexbirdie

Respectable
"CPU Usage in windows is at 1-10% idling " ???

My CPU idles at about 0-1 %, therefore 1-10 is pretty much. What processes are running in the background, which use so much percent?

Which tool do you use for reading temps?

70+ during gaming is no problem, but idle is suspicious.

jasonbrownlee2003

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
"CPU Usage in windows is at 1-10% idling " ???

My CPU idles at about 0-1 %, therefore 1-10 is pretty much. What processes are running in the background, which use so much percent?

Which tool do you use for reading temps?

70+ during gaming is no problem, but idle is suspicious.

Using aida64 & hwinfo,
and its just normal windows processes / apps like my keyboard and mouse apps

and yeh, i wouldve got 25-35 max whilst idling (my room is always cold due to me liking it cold) and for some reason it now goes to 65? in the same enviroment

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you keep bumping this thread as you've done twice already, the thread will be closed. Lots of people need help; your problem is no more important or less important than their problems. It's also a major holiday in the United States, so there are likely fewer people to answer things than usual.

If your cpu temperatures are 60c. at idle, then there is something wrong with your cooler or the mount.
A normal idle temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
Likely your cooler has lost fluid, acquired a clog in the lines, or the pump is broken.
Possibly the pump has become loose from the cpu.
Try to remount the pump.
If no help, it is time, I think to replace the cooler.

jasonbrownlee2003

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
If your cpu temperatures are 60c. at idle, then there is something wrong with your cooler or the mount.
A normal idle temperature should be 10-15c. over ambient.
Likely your cooler has lost fluid, acquired a clog in the lines, or the pump is broken.
Possibly the pump has become loose from the cpu.
Try to remount the pump.
If no help, it is time, I think to replace the cooler.
Yeh i thought the pump was broke, switched to stock cooler and same issue
also reapplied thermal paste and re mounted the block before switching to stock cooler

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeh i thought the pump was broke, switched to stock cooler and same issue
also reapplied thermal paste and re mounted the block before switching to stock cooler

You may not be installing it properly. This is simple physics; if there's no weird overclock on the CPU or something, a properly mounted heat sink with a working fan will remove heat.

jasonbrownlee2003

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
You may not be installing it properly. This is simple physics; if there's no weird overclock on the CPU or something, a properly mounted heat sink with a working fan will remove heat.

Lmao, i know how to install a cpu cooler, I have had about 8 years of experience with pc's, but this issue just baffles me

And no, the only think that is enabled / changed close to that is XMP for my ram, which obviously wouldn't effect anything to do with the CPU.

jasonbrownlee2003

Commendable
Jan 28, 2018
You have still not yet answered the question... What is your cpu?

And, yes, xmp can have an impact on cpu performance by reducing the potential overclock.

Lastly, what do you mean by only 50w spare?
What is the make/model of your psu?
Ryzen 5 3600x

I have an EVGA 550W Gold

With my calculations the peak usage would be around 450-500watts, obviously i'd never get anywhere near that but at least it's good to know