CPU Overheating - Understanding this BIOS Reading

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hi,

It seems like I have a CPU overheating problem which is causing my games to lag excessively.

System specs -

CPU - i5 6600 (Gigabyte)
RAM - 8 GB
GPU - GTX 960
PSU - Cooler Master 500 W

OS - Windows 8.1

I looked up the UEFI BIOS readings today -

BCLK - around 99 to 100 MHz

CPU Frequency - 1900 MHz

CPU Temp - 99 to 100 degrees Celsius

VCore - 0.745V

CPU Fan Speed - 2400 RPM

System Temp - 38 degrees Celsius

System Fan Speed - 0 RPM

CPU Fan Speed Control - Normal

System Fan Speed Control - Normal

I would like to know what you all make of these readings and some tips to resolve the problem areas.

Solution
Hi All,

The tech from Cooler Master visited. Turns out (and as most of you suspected) that the cooler was hopelessly installed. The tech was shocked. Anyhow, it was re-installed and now it sits tight on the MB. Temps are currently averaging between 29 - 38 degrees Celsius, down from 90 degrees.

xFeaRDom

Estimable
This is a really unusual case, seems like you don't have a CPU fan at all, when you have.

What fan are you using?

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste on the fan?

Have you removed the fan and not replaced the thermal paste? as it can cause overheating.

What is the airflow like in your case, and have you checked if the CPU fan is working or if the heat sink is blocked by dust?

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
This is a very new system. The CPU, I assume came with a built-in fan. I wasn't around when the tech was putting it all together. The system is about 3 weeks old. My brother was around when it was being built. He tells me that the spare fan that I bought was not put in because the tech said it wasn't necessary as the cpu already had its stock fan. I wonder if that's the problem. But what if there is no room for that extra fan?

xFeaRDom

Estimable

The extra fan won't really do anything, if anything it'll drop it probably a couple of degrees C, it seems like its something to do with the Thermal Paste, if there is any at all. Do you have any spare thermal paste or can you order a small amount in as soon as possible. I would recommend replacing it if there is any, this will include taking the CPU cooler off and wiping the CPU clean and the base of the CPU cooler.

Or you can always try a different way, and purchase a basic aftermarket cooler.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

Depends on your case, as different aftermarket coolers will need different clearance.

I will recommend Arctic MX-5 Paste or something similar, coolermaster has one out too, either of those will do.

When it comes to CPU coolers, I would try the Thermal Paste first, then see if that does anything, if not try a CPU cooler. You won't need a large CPU cooler due to it being a locked CPU.

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
I looked in the pack that the CPU cooler came in and I noticed the thermal paste in there. It looks like it wasn't even used during the install. I suppose that's the reason why it isn't working right.

I' afraid, however, of removing the cooler itself. It's not as easy as removing and installing the GPU.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

It's really simple, and there are many guides out there that will assist you.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000005852.html

This is one that is explained by Intel themselves, and since you're using the stock CPU cooler, it should be really similar.

Hope this helps!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Its not hard, and its clearly not working right at the moment.

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Hi, I guess I'll take the plunge and try to apply the paste myself. I hope I don't unsettle the other stuff.

The reason I created this thread was to specifically understand the BIOS readings.

xFeaRDom

Estimable

It is really simple, and other components do not need to be taken out. If it makes you more uncomfortable, put your Computer on a solid surface on it's side, as it will allow greater control and steadiness when applying pressure. It may take a couple of tries to apply the paste, but if you mess up, simply wipe it off, then reapply. Remember, you need less than a pea on there, any more is a waste :)

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
What a terrible day it has been!

I took the system apart out of frustration to figure things out.

I may have made matters worse.

I dismantled the MB and couldn't figure out 100% where all the wires went after that. I hope they went in the right places.

Then, I took the cooler apart to try different ways of installing. While doing so, the heatsink got stuck to the CPU which had thermal paste all over it. It wasn't coming apart from the CPU so I had to separate them forcefully. It happened again and I separated them, forcefully. I hope that hasn't destroyed my CPU.

The system refuses to start. There are two blue power buttons on the case. One comes on but the other does not. I keep pressing it but the system won't boot-up. I may have blown the motherboard. I suppose everything is ruined by now.

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
Praise God. The technician came and managed to get the system working. I might have plugged a wire wrong. I'm just so relieved that the CPU, MB, GPU and other parts are fine after the hell I put them through.

As for the temperature, for the first time I saw temps in the range of 50-60 degrees celsius. The tech re-installed the cooler. It's still not up to speed though. A few minutes ago temps went back up to 90 to 100. I noticed from MSI that this happens when CPU usage spikes. I don't know what usage though? I don't have any apps running (except for Bitdefender).

The temp was at 54 (average) about ten minutes ago. It's back to 91 (average) and the cpu usage is 28%. Temp rises are commensurate with cpu usage (from what I'm noticing).

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
He cleaned off some because I had apparently put too much...almost the whole tube. Due to time constraints, I couldn't dwell on the CPU heating issue with him. I just wanted the CPU to start and ensure all my hardware was working fine. I'm never going to take the system apart except if it is to install or uninstall a GPU which I've done quite a few times successfully.

He did try to reseat the cooler but he and I agreed that something wasn't right in the way it was installed in the first place. I wonder if this cooler is actually meant for my motherboard because the pieces don't fit perfectly. It fits in very awkwardly.

I've been monitoring the temperature for the last half hour. The temp rises to 90 every time the CPU usage increases. But what CPU usage? MSI says CPU usage is 28% currently and Task Manager says 11%!

king_dj2

Commendable
Oct 1, 2016
anlfud.png

ckesimli

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016
156808.960e9d15d66837a00d77620927cefbcc.87dd5b9b7fd4cd0dca3fbae57643876c.1600.jpg

SCR_04.JPG

This is your cooler and how it is supposed to look inside your case attached to your cpu. Just turn on your system while the side panel is off and see if it is turning. Check that it is connected to the motherboard. If it is turning, your CPU is supposed to run cool. If it is not running cool when the fan is spinning, then it means you have a bad install (bad thermal paste or bad mounting). If it is not spinning, you need to plug it into the motherboard. If it is still not spinning, you have a defective fan. Third option is that something is getting stuck in the fanblades, preventing it from spinning.

This is the most simple CPU cooler to install and I am utterly amazed that you went out of your way to disregard anything anyone said(around 10 people overall) and still didn't manage to solve your problem. There are thousands of guides online about installing coolers, applying thermal paste etc. Even if you don't, try reading your CPU manual maybe?

If after trying all these you are still not getting results, post your motherboard make and model (Gigabyte is not enough) so that I can find the exact image you need to see to change your fan settings (if you insist on not checking with uncle google).

ckesimli

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

First of all the area you apply thermal paste to is called the heat spreader. The CPU die is the bits that are underneath that metal plate. Second, this type of cooler comes with pre applied thermal compound, true but it is not on the heat spreader. The compound comes applied to the heatsink itself. And third, the OP already took the system apart by himself, tried to apply thermal paste, botched it, called a mechanic, the mechanic tried it again and now we are here.