Apr 11, 2020
HI GUYS!
I have a new rig, ryzen 5 3600 with Msi tomahawk max.
I downloaded the msi afterburner and it showed that when I played the cpu frequency is 4200 mhz. I wanted to bring down it to the base 3600 mhz so I disabled PBO in the boot menu. Nothing changed so I disabled the CPB (core performance boost) too. Now the cpu runs in 3600 mhz top, but when idle the frequency jumps up and down from 2100 to 3600.
What do I did wrong? Or it is normal?

Solution
HI GUYS!
I downloaded the msi afterburner and it showed that when I played the cpu frequency is 4200 mhz. I wanted to bring down it to the base 3600 mhz so I disabled PBO in the boot menu. Nothing changed so I disabled the CPB (core performance boost) too. Now the cpu runs in 3600 mhz top, but when idle the frequency jumps up and down from 2100 to 3600.

So...why do you want your cpu to run at base frequency? when set up stock it will lower clocks and only get that low if running an enormously heavy load that heats it up to the point it has to lower clock speed and voltage to cool it off.

If not, it will boost to 4.2Ghz (it's rated boost...
HI GUYS!

So...why do you want your cpu to run at base frequency? when set up stock it will lower clocks and only get that low if running an enormously heavy load that heats it up to the point it has to lower clock speed and voltage to cool it off.

If not, it will boost to 4.2Ghz (it's rated boost clock) as often as it can in light, boosting loads. That it's doing that is actually quite good and indicates it's set up very well.

Things to do: disable PBO (put it into AUTO if yours has it) and CPB as you have. Put your core multiplier into AUTO and your core voltage in AUTO. If you're still seeing 4.2Ghz a lot, then great and that's OK.

Last edited:
Reactions: norcalsc
Solution
Apr 11, 2020

If not, it will boost to 4.2Ghz (it's rated boost clock) as often as it can in light, boosting loads. That it's doing that is actually quite good and indicates it's set up very well.

Things to do: disable PBO (put it into AUTO if yours has it) and CPB as you have. Put your core multiplier into AUTO and your core voltage in AUTO. If you're still seeing 4.2Ghz a lot, then great and that's OK.
Thank you. I thought if it runs at 4.2ghz it counts as overclock and the cpu may damage in long term.
So in the boot menu I have both option (auto or disable) on PBO and CPB. If both disabled the frequency never goes higher than 3.6ghz. If both on Auto the frequency goes up until 4.2ghz in gaming for example.

Thank you. I thought if it runs at 4.2ghz it counts as overclock and the cpu may damage in long term.
So in the boot menu I have both option (auto or disable) on PBO and CPB. If both disabled the frequency never goes higher than 3.6ghz. If both on Auto the frequency goes up until 4.2ghz in gaming for example.

If you haven't take the CPU multiplier and Core Voltage settings off AUTO and you're getting 4.2Ghz boosting like that, then I'd use it!