[SOLVED] cpu pins and zif sockets.

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I'm assuming they wouldn't use them if this were the case, but can reusing or reseating a cpu repeatedly cause damage to the cpu pins (Ryzen btw) from the locking mechanism? Also what is the best way to clean dirty pins without bending them (also on Ryzen)?

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Well I first built the computer at the beginning of March and so I seated it and left it alone. Beginning of this week I tried to install an aio and I reseated it a few times after removing the coolers just out of my OCD. I plan on going back to an air cooler so in a few days when I go to install it I might at least unlock and lock it back before I install the cooler. I noticed the last time I took out the cpu some of the pins looked kinda dull and dirty (not bent though) so I was wondering if I should clean them somehow and if so, how as I don't want to damage anything.

sixstring88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I see and I appreciate the feedback. I guess as long as it boots I won't mess with them but I did find a soft brush I got with a shaving kit one time I am gonna keep handy just in case I need it, thanks :)

I wouldn't touch those pins! They will oxidize slightly, but the zif socket grabs them tight enough that oxidation isn't an issue.
They have a gold plating so shouldn't oxidize easily. Static discharge, however, is another matter.

This hardware really isn't designed for frequent disassembly and reassemble. Parts are way to fragile and to many ways for things to fail. Just assemble it and leave it assembled. Even if the thermal compound is dried it will perform well enough so unseating a cooler just for that shouldn't be necessary unless it was dislodged by careless dusting. Movement of the heatsink or waterblock can crack dried compound and that's when thermal transfer is adversely affected.

Thermal compound and dust on the pins shouldn't impede performance, I'd leave it. Unless it is liquid metal...then it's probably a binner anyways. I'm not sure even ultrasonic bath cleaning could get that out reliably.