CPU Question

G

I've got an AMD Duron 700mhz CPU now. Should I get a new mobo (ASUS A7V133) now with a 1.33ghz T-Bird or wait till the 2ghz chips come out? How long should it be before they are released? Maybe the end of the year or middle of next? I don't really want to get both. Just stick it out for the 2ghz if it's not TOO long of a wait.

G

i'd hold off for a while. if you can wait, if you current cmpt is still doing everything you need it to then wait. it is always best to wait as long as you can. me i'm waiting 5 years to upgrade my desk top, then i'm gona grab a 30Ghz 64-bit chip. until then i'm buying a laptop.

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i guess waiting is worth if your current machine fulfils your requirements.

if you really want a future-proof upgrade (assuming your wallet is pretty heavy) go for A7M266 AMD760 chipset DDR mobo (even A7A266 ALiMagik chipset with option for both SDRAM and DDR on the same board is worth considering). thats what future CPUs will be working with. your motherboard investment will be future-proof, and you could upgrade your machine regularly by just switching cpus.

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I'd have to agree there. You want to spend your money on a good mother board, and skimp on the cpu/memory for the time being. Prices on processors and memory come down fairly quickly, but motherboard prices drop quite a bit slower.
The $220 processor now usually comes down to $120 in 6-months time.