Question CPU randomly doesn't run over 50% usage

christianjw18

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Sometimes (like maybe once a week) when I turn on my computer it runs incredibly slowly and my CPU doesn't run over 50% usage. As a result, my laptop runs incredibly slowly. There have been times where I've tried to play a game like CSGO and gotten 4 fps even though I normally get 200+. I've tried restarting my computer but I'm not sure if that works. The problem tends to fix itself and go back to normal 10 or 15 minutes after I restart my computer but I don't know if that because I restarted my computer or because it just decided to fix itself. Additionally, in my power options, my minimum and maximum processor states are both 100%. My computer is an MSI gx63vr and has an intel 7700hq processor with a gtx 1070 gpu.

christianjw18

Commendable
Feb 18, 2018
Update: I checked my resource monitor and it shows the maximum frequency as 49%, which would explain why it doesn't go above that. When the PC first boots up it goes at 100% cpu usage for a few seconds but then drops down to the 49-50% mark. The CPU temp sits around 46 degrees, but I still can't figure out how to make the maximum frequency 100%