[SOLVED] CPU reaches 100C when rendering with Davinci Resolve

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX
Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF BOX
Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - Black
Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3070 VISION OC 8GB GDDR6
Kingston A2000 1TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
Toshiba DT02ABA400 4TB 5400rpm 3.5 HDD
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80 Plus Gold TT Premium Edition Fully Modular PSU
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 CPU Cooler

My CPU goes up to 80-85c while gaming, I am like fine I guess, but when I try to render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C. Is that normal? is that going to damage my CPU? What can I do to try and bring it down to like 80-ish? I dont mind slower rendering. The PC does not seems to be lagging and it is not crashing, but I am not sure if getting to 100C is a good thing.

My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters. The CPU cooler is installed at the front sucking in air, 2 fans on top and the back fan is blowing outside, not sure if it is the right way (people installed it for me when I bought the PC). Case is Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX ARGB Tempered Glass ATX.

Last edited:
Solution
i7-10700KF
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 CPU Cooler

80-85c while gaming ... render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C.

My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters.
Room temps matter mostly at idle ...
CountMike,

Respectfully, you've obviously been misinformed, which is all too common for this topic.

Guys,

Ambient room temperature ALWAYS matters, not just at idle, but equally as much during 100% workloads, or anything in between.

The International Standard for "normal" ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which means you're running 10 to 13°C above normal. Whether at idle or under the most severe...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Yes, that's completely normal and expected. Core temperatures respond instantly to changes in Power consumption which is driven by workload. As workload fluctates, Core temperatures also fluctuate. At idle, Windows intermittently runs numerous background Processes and Services, which causes Core temperatures to fluctuate.

This information is in the Temperature Guide in Sections 10 through 13. Please read it, after which you'll be much better informed.

Your high Core temperatures are due to running your rig in an abnormally high ambient environment while using rendering software, which imposes AVX workloads. Continue expirimenting with AVX Offset values; you're on the right track.

CT :sol: