Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX
Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF BOX
Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - Black
Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3070 VISION OC 8GB GDDR6
Kingston A2000 1TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
Toshiba DT02ABA400 4TB 5400rpm 3.5 HDD
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80 Plus Gold TT Premium Edition Fully Modular PSU
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 CPU Cooler

My CPU goes up to 80-85c while gaming, I am like fine I guess, but when I try to render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C. Is that normal? is that going to damage my CPU? What can I do to try and bring it down to like 80-ish? I dont mind slower rendering. The PC does not seems to be lagging and it is not crashing, but I am not sure if getting to 100C is a good thing.

My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters. The CPU cooler is installed at the front sucking in air, 2 fans on top and the back fan is blowing outside, not sure if it is the right way (people installed it for me when I bought the PC). Case is Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX ARGB Tempered Glass ATX.

Last edited:
Solution
i7-10700KF

80-85c while gaming ... render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C.

My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters.
Room temps matter mostly at idle ...
CountMike,

Respectfully, you've obviously been misinformed, which is all too common for this topic.

Guys,

Ambient room temperature ALWAYS matters, not just at idle, but equally as much during 100% workloads, or anything in between.

The International Standard for "normal" ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which means you're running 10 to 13°C above normal. Whether at idle or under the most severe...
MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY ATX
Intel® Core™ i7-10700KF BOX
Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 - Black
Gigabyte GeForce RTX™ 3070 VISION OC 8GB GDDR6
Kingston A2000 1TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
Toshiba DT02ABA400 4TB 5400rpm 3.5 HDD
Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80 Plus Gold TT Premium Edition Fully Modular PSU

My CPU goes up to 80-85c while gaming, I am like fine I guess, but when I try to render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C. Is that normal? is that going to damage my CPU? What can I do to try and bring it down to like 80-ish? I dont mind slower rendering. The PC does not seems to be lagging and it is not crashing, but I am not sure if getting to 100C is a good thing.
Not very good indeed, that cooler should do much better, time to review your cooling, something must be wrong !

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Not very good indeed, that cooler should do much better, time to review your cooling, something must be wrong !
I dont really have the knowledge to do that, so I am not even sure where can I start with. My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters. The CPU cooler is installed at the front sucking in air and 2 fans on top and the back fan is blowing outside, not sure if it is the right way (people installed it for me when I bought the PC).

That cooler's pump is connected together with 4 pin radiator fans and should be connected to CPU_FAN header on the MB. Pump doesn't report speed but should be connected and set to run full speed all the time. I have run into situation where it wasn't working as it should so disconnected pump from original harness and connected it to AIO_Pump header where it worked full speed.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
That cooler's pump is connected together with 4 pin radiator fans and should be connected to CPU_FAN header on the MB. Pump doesn't report speed but should be connected and set to run full speed all the time. I have run into situation where it wasn't working as it should so disconnected pump from original harness and connected it to AIO_Pump header where it worked full speed.
It looks like it is connected and the small fan is spinning so can I assume the pump is also working?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
i7-10700KF

80-85c while gaming ... render a project in Davinci Resolve it goes all the way up to 95-100C.

My room temperature can go up to 32-35c, not sure if it matters.
Room temps matter mostly at idle ...
CountMike,

Respectfully, you've obviously been misinformed, which is all too common for this topic.

Guys,

Ambient room temperature ALWAYS matters, not just at idle, but equally as much during 100% workloads, or anything in between.

The International Standard for "normal" ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which means you're running 10 to 13°C above normal. Whether at idle or under the most severe workload, for every degree your ambient temperature is above normal, so will be the temperature of every component in your entire computer system, including every Core in your processor.

Regardless, rendering software such as Davinci Resolve uses the processor's "AVX Instruction Sets", which is why your Core temperatures reach "Throttle" temperature at 100°C when rendering. However, there's a setting in BIOS call "AVX Offset" which you need to configure to compensate for your abnormally high ambient temperature, as well as any other existing cooling deficiencies.

AVX Offsets work by decreasing the CPU's clock speed and Core voltage whenever an AVX workload is being processed, which decreases Power consumption (Watts), and in turn, decreases Core temperatures. An Offset value of at least 2 (200 MHz) or more may be needed to decrease your Core temperatures to reasonable levels, but you can also try an Offset value of 3 or more.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

If you'd like to learn more about how to properly check cooling performance, then just click on the link in my signature.

CT :sol:

Reactions: Bassman999
Solution

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017

The International Standard for "normal" ambient temperature is 22°C or 72°F, which means you're running 10 to 13°C above normal. Whether at idle or under the most severe workload, for every degree your ambient temperature is above normal, so will be the temperature of every component in your entire computer system, including every Core in your processor.

Regardless, rendering software such as Davinci Resolve uses the processor's "AVX Instruction Sets", which is why your Core temperatures reach "Throttle" temperature at 100°C when rendering. However, there's a setting in BIOS call "AVX Offset" which you need to configure to compensate for your abnormally high ambient temperature, as well as any other existing cooling deficiencies.

AVX Offsets work by decreasing the CPU's clock speed and Core voltage whenever an AVX workload is being processed, which decreases Power consumption (Watts), and in turn, decreases Core temperatures. An Offset value of at least 2 (200 MHz) or more may be needed to decrease your Core temperatures to reasonable levels, but you can also try an Offset value of 3 or more.

Here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

PdancCI.jpg

If you'd like to learn more about how to properly check cooling performance, then just click on the link in my signature.

Does that mean whenever it goes above 85C it can damage the CPU? Would doing the BIOS setting reduce performance for gaming too? Or it only affects softwares using that "AVX Instruction Sets"?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Please click on the link in my signature and read the information provided so you'll have a better perspective and a clear understanding of this topic.

To answer your 1st question, no, but sustained Core temperatures above 85°C combined with sustained high workloads which drives sustained high Power consumption and high Core voltages can potentially degrade your processor's performance over time and compromise stability.

To answer your 2nd and 3rd questions, for the overwhelming majority of games, AVX Offsets don't affect gaming performance, unless you're running one of the small number of very recent titles that actually use AVX Instruction Sets. Nonetheless, keep in mind that game performance is mostly GPU limited, so the CPU, especially a high end processor such as your 10700KF, would not be noticeably affected by any AVX capable games. Rendering and A/V transcoding, CAD software, shared computing projects such as Folding At Home and SETI, as well as specialized scientific and number crunching apps or certain stress testing utilities typically use AVX Instruction Sets.

Why "Room temps matter mostly at idle ... ", because CPU (but that applies for most other solid state devices/part) CPU is in low power state with at some lowest possible temps for particular setup. At higher power states, CPU temps rise faster and faster while ambient temps stay practically same so percentage of of ambient temps influence drops. Just physics and math.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Why "Room temps matter mostly at idle ... ", because CPU (but that applies for most other solid state devices/part) CPU is in low power state with at some lowest possible temps for particular setup. At higher power states, CPU temps rise faster and faster while ambient temps stay practically same so percentage of of ambient temps influence drops. Just physics and math.
Respectfully, although the ambient to Core temperature ratio differs between idle and 100% workload, the "influence" remains constant. Just 14 years and nearly 10,000 hours of research, hand-on testing and practical experience.

Please feel free to read my Temperature Guide. It's a "Sticky" at the top of the CPUs Forum, so it's always available for everyone's benefit. There's a handy link to it in my signature below. You might find Section 16 - References of particular interest, especially Intel's Datasheets, where there's ample as well as enlightening physics and math.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Fan on cpu block doesn't seem to be spinning.

Radiator should be mounted upside down. There will be air trapped in upper portion of the radiator.That impedes liquid flow.
Do you mean the small fan on the cooler? It is spinning. Also it is impossible to make it upside-down unless I have a water cooling cable double the length.

SoulOfDerp

Honorable
Jun 7, 2017
Please click on the link in my signature and read the information provided so you'll have a better perspective and a clear understanding of this topic.

To answer your 1st question, no, but sustained Core temperatures above 85°C combined with sustained high workloads which drives sustained high Power consumption and high Core voltages can potentially degrade your processor's performance over time and compromise stability.

To answer your 2nd and 3rd questions, for the overwhelming majority of games, AVX Offsets don't affect gaming performance, unless you're running one of the small number of very recent titles that actually use AVX Instruction Sets. Nonetheless, keep in mind that game performance is mostly GPU limited, so the CPU, especially a high end processor such as your 10700K, would not be noticeably affected by any AVX capable games. Rendering and A/V transcoding, CAD software, shared computing projects such as Folding At Home and SETI, as well as specialized scientific and number crunching apps or certain stress testing utilities typically use AVX Instruction Sets.

I set it to -3 and it seems to bring it down to 90-ish, may need a even higher value it seems. Or is it actually fine it if only happens when I am rendering (which I do like once a week or something).

Also is it normal for the temperature to fluctuate close to 10 degrees per update (using afterburner)? Even normal gaming it can go from 60 to 72 back to 62 in a second or two. Even on idle (like watching youtube and using chrome) it can change from 45 to 58, 55, then back to 46 or something like that.