[SOLVED] CPU reaches very high temps at low CPU usage (around 40%)

Nov 26, 2021
Last edited:
Solution
@Moe1996 - What laptop model did you buy? Many Dell laptops from this era have a problem with BD PROCHOT throttling. This was a problem even when these laptops were brand new and this problem was never fixed.

Try running ThrottleStop, open up the Limit Reasons window and see if BD PROCHOT is being triggered.

miCf7kN.png

If your laptop does have this problem, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main ThrottleStop screen.

hXTBNoY.png

Intel CPUs are designed to run at full speed right up until they reach 100°C. Any throttling before 100°C is almost always because a laptop manufacturer has engineered a poorly thought out throttling scheme.

Your first screenshot seems to...

raunakFIX

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2015
There could be a lot of reasons as to why your CPU is heating this much. But I would say that the cooling isn't happening as fast or as effectively as it should be.
You say that it's a used laptop, so maybe try applying a good thermal paste to your CPU and GPU. This should drop the temperatures by at least 5-10C if not more.

Reactions: Moe1996
Nov 26, 2021
There could be a lot of reasons as to why your CPU is heating this much. But I would say that the cooling isn't happening as fast or as effectively as it should be.
You say that it's a used laptop, so maybe try applying a good thermal paste to your CPU and GPU. This should drop the temperatures by at least 5-10C if not more.
Thanks, what about laptop cooling pads are those safe to use & would one fix my problem?

raunakFIX

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2015
Thanks, what about laptop cooling pads are those safe to use & would one fix my problem?
Cooling pads won't make as much of a difference as the internal fan of your laptop will. Cooling pad will lower the temperatures only by 5-10 degrees and that too isn't guaranteed. Seeing that your internal cooling system isn't working effectively at all, you will need to invest in a very good cooling pad, with 3 fans, high rpm. I don't recommend it. I suggest that you open the back panel of your laptop, clean the dust and the thermal paste, reapply the thermal paste(good one) and it should be fine. Fix your internal cooling system first, that is really important. Your CPU temperature is quite high at 96 deg. PROCHOT limit is 100C.

@Moe1996 - What laptop model did you buy? Many Dell laptops from this era have a problem with BD PROCHOT throttling. This was a problem even when these laptops were brand new and this problem was never fixed.

Try running ThrottleStop, open up the Limit Reasons window and see if BD PROCHOT is being triggered.

miCf7kN.png

If your laptop does have this problem, try clearing the BD PROCHOT box on the main ThrottleStop screen.

hXTBNoY.png

Intel CPUs are designed to run at full speed right up until they reach 100°C. Any throttling before 100°C is almost always because a laptop manufacturer has engineered a poorly thought out throttling scheme.

Your first screenshot seems to confirm this. When a CPU is at 83°C, it should not be running at 798 MHz. I have seen enough laptops with this problem to be 99% certain that this is a BD PROCHOT throttling issue. Post some pictures of ThrottleStop if you need help understanding this issue.

Your CPU is also running too hot so ultimately, you will need to take it apart and clean it out. For many laptops, this is easier than you think. Watch some YouTube videos to learn more.

Solution