CPU recommendations for network monitoring box

ultrachrome

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
I'm using Ethereal to monitor network traffic in our lab but due to access constraints I need about five ethernet ports and to run several Ethereal trace sessions simultaneously.

I use perl re to parse the data and load into MS Access for correlation and statistic generation. I then use Excel to make the results look pretty.

Looking for CPU suggestions that will make Ethereal/Perl/Access run at their best.

Back in the day I made the mistake of asking for a pentium pro machine and it actually ran my applications slower. I want to avoid that mistake.

Suggestions? Price isn't really the main concern. But it needs to be not so power hungry or hot running that it won't work in an atx luggable/portable cases (the kind with the foldout keyboard and integrated display).

sallad

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
So far as server-type cpus go, I would have to recommend either an Itanium 2 or a Xeon MP the Xeon is more small biz-server cpu and the Itanium is much more expensive. But if you can hold out a year or two more intel is making whole new gen. of cpus on the 65nm process. (or if price really isnt an object just get both as they come out)

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Or he could just get an AMD dual core system which would fit his needs now. Look into a high-end Asus board with 2 built in NIC's then you would only have to add 3 more. Any dual core chip would work and the slower the cooler.